Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intake advantages in turbo application?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake advantages in turbo application?

Will I notice a difference between a ls1 or ls6 or truck intake with turbos? Right now the plan is my 4.8 thinner head gaskets and twin 76's still undecided on .68 or .96 AR housing.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Coal Mining Director

Use the LS6.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

twin 76s on a 4.8 seems a bit mismatched to me dont you think?.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
twin 76s on a 4.8 seems a bit mismatched to me dont you think?.
Twin Ebay 76mm on a 4.8 article --> https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...agazine-5.html
Old 05-22-2012, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts

read that issue. thats just crazy. i like the twist they had on it when they thought they had a 5.3 and turned out to be a 4.8.
i wouldnd say miss mathed but it would be a peak horsepower build. low end would be "ehh" then mid to high end would be "sweet JESUS!!!" lol all things equal of course.
if your looking for over 900hp your definiatly heading in the right direction.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83
read that issue. thats just crazy. i like the twist they had on it when they thought they had a 5.3 and turned out to be a 4.8.
i wouldnd say miss mathed but it would be a peak horsepower build. low end would be "ehh" then mid to high end would be "sweet JESUS!!!" lol all things equal of course.
if your looking for over 900hp your definiatly heading in the right direction.
Yeah, my setup is a little like that, a little weak down low but strong up top. It's kinda shocking because the acceleration just keeps building with the boost.

I bet the people who put thousands of $$$ into building their forged setup don't like to read articles like that 4.8 one. Makes me want to pull my original engine and dump in a 4.8! LOL!

Last edited by HRHohio; 05-23-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

lol i might not go that far, but makes me feel alittle better with my stock ls1. with a good tune and moderate goals, my car should last awhile. For the longest time i kept running into "oh a stock ls1 can only take 5psi or it will blow" or you gotta do this and that for turbos. the problem i keep noticing is that everyone keeps giving advice on 1200hp turbo setups and everyone keeps forgetting about us normal people with normal budgets. yeah im sure a T88 will blow the doors off the next guy at the track with a 6.0block with forged internals and all the other goodies but some of us just want a nice fun car to drive on the street sometimes.
sorry to rant but anyway,
for turbo builds that 4.8 with twin 76mm turbos would probably be a blast to drive if tuned properly and CONSERVITIVLY lol just remember they had it on an engine dyno and not in a car so some things will be different.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

lol i might not go that far, but makes me feel alittle better with my stock ls1. with a good tune and moderate goals, my car should last awhile. For the longest time i kept running into "oh a stock ls1 can only take 5psi or it will blow" or you gotta do this and that for turbos. the problem i keep noticing is that everyone keeps giving advice on 1200hp turbo setups and everyone keeps forgetting about us normal people with normal budgets. yeah im sure a T88 will blow the doors off the next guy at the track with a 6.0block with forged internals and all the other goodies but some of us just want a nice fun car to drive on the street sometimes.
sorry to rant but anyway,
for turbo builds that 4.8 with twin 76mm turbos would probably be a blast to drive if tuned properly and CONSERVITIVLY lol just remember they had it on an engine dyno and not in a car so some things will be different.
I agree. I've pushed mine to 10 psi, with intercooler, methanol injection, and conservative tune.

If I did store the original LS1 and put in a 4.8, I'd keep the tune conservative too. But I'd be Hella happy with 750 rwhp! Talk about a fun street car... in my convertible too! WOW! That would freak some people out! hahaha
Old 05-22-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

lol most definiatly lol
i myself am trying to research and put together a custom rear mounted turbo setup myself and am trying to get it started but just keep running around in circles as to what size turbo i shoudl go with on my stock LS1. i know the generic anwsers and stuff but want to know some specifics. with your twin 76mm turbos i would most definitly assume your running a front mount lol
Old 05-22-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

lol most definiatly lol
i myself am trying to research and put together a custom rear mounted turbo setup myself and am trying to get it started but just keep running around in circles as to what size turbo i shoudl go with on my stock LS1. i know the generic anwsers and stuff but want to know some specifics. with your twin 76mm turbos i would most definitly assume your running a front mount lol
No no no... I WISH I were running twin front mount... sorry for the miscommunication.

Actually I'm running a rear mount right now. Single Turbo. ON3 T76 Ball Bearing with a .96 AR housing. But I just bought a .81 AR housing the other day. Want to see if it helps with the spool time.

Just finished wrapping the exhaust from front to rear today. About to take it out for a test drive and see if it helped much.

I'm stock bottom end. Only mods to engine are LS9 Cam install and LS6 springs. Also running front mount intercooler and snow methanol injection.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

oh wow holy **** lol im actually trying to decide on my setup right now lol cool. I should have seen your sig. my bad. I think youve given me advise on other threads lol alls cool. i must have misread you as the OP. but no biggy. so the .96 is a bit laggy? would it matter if it was a T72 with a .81? would that spool significally faster then the T76 with .81ar? or just give more up top room?
Old 05-23-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

oh wow holy **** lol im actually trying to decide on my setup right now lol cool. I should have seen your sig. my bad. I think youve given me advise on other threads lol alls cool. i must have misread you as the OP. but no biggy. so the .96 is a bit laggy? would it matter if it was a T72 with a .81? would that spool significally faster then the T76 with .81ar? or just give more up top room?
No problem. lol
Well, I just finished wrapping the exhaust from the cats to the turbo last night. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The spool is still a little laggy though with my .96 AR. I received my .81 housing in the mail the other day so I will be swapping that out and seeing how it performs. I have a feeling that it will improve the spool considerably, yet not cut top end performance any. At least I'm hopeful. Oh, I also wrapped the coldpipe from front to rear. When I had the car at a muffler shop to fix an exhaust leak at the new wideband bung, I reached up there and touched my coldpipe. That ***** was HOT! It's so close to the exhaust that the heat was transferring and increasing my intake air temps. The pipe had to be 180 degrees or more. Too hot to touch for more than a split second. Lesson learned... WRAP EVERYTHING!!! ( honestly, I didn't buy into it, but NOW I'm a believer!)

Will let you know how the turbo performs with the .81 AR exhaust housing once I get it swapped. That'll probably be in a week or two.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

alright. definitly let us know how the T76 does with a .81ar

definitly want to know how that goes. will help me decide between a T72 and a t76.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

What vehicle is this going in? I wouldnt discount the truck intake if you can fit it. An interesting read:

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...thread-392089/

There are a few other threads like this around the board. You may be able to find them with a search. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

alright. definitly let us know how the T76 does with a .81ar

definitly want to know how that goes. will help me decide between a T72 and a t76.
Ok guys. I got the .81 AR exhaust housing installed today and my tuner came over to adjust my tune since the last attemt. (Long story related to my coldpipe heating up being so close to the exhaust/cat on the drivers side). With my exhaust wrapped (from just after the cats to the rear), we needed to do some adjusting of the tune.

So, the results are in. Even with the Ball Bearing version, the T76 by On3 Performance needs the smaller A/R for spooling. With the .96 AR housing, I was seeing 2 lbs boost at the top of 1st gear. Now it gets up to 5 psi at the end of 1st, then up to max (9psi) very quickly in 2nd gear. I could probably get even more if I wrapped the cats and the stock exhaust manifolds, but I just don't feel like it. I OFFICIALLY HATE FIBERGLASS NOW.

Anyway, my advice is definitely go with the .81 AR housing for the rear mount (on3 T76).
Old 06-22-2012, 05:21 AM
TECH Addict

got mine in the mail just a week ago, i got a few pic of it on my other threads

Quick Reply: Intake advantages in turbo application?