Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

6 bolt / cylinder head guys please step inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 bolt / cylinder head guys please step inside

So finally some progress is being made on my project untill last night. We have the engine on the stand and noticed that the stock casting exhaust manifolds will not clear the "6th" bolt or the extra bolts for the #7 and #8 cylinder. This is an issue because the IPS turbo kit was designed to re-use these manifolds for their strength and their heat retention. My first thought was to try and use a shorty header designed for the 5th gen but I am not sure if they will clear the extra bolts or if they are structurally strong enough to support the turbos? Obviously the best option is a custom turbo manifold but my last quote of $2,000 seems a bit rough. Any thoughts and suggtions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 05-28-2012, 11:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hooker has a new cast iron manifold out for ls swaps just saw it in new GMHTP. Supposedly a block hugger design so I dunno if it will help, but they may work.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Hooker has a new cast iron manifold out for ls swaps just saw it in new GMHTP. Supposedly a block hugger design so I dunno if it will help, but they may work.
From what I have seen those manifolds are a copy of the 5th gen ls3 manifolds. Op, what stock manifolds come with the kit?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you could buy the turbo manifolds that obx makes and sells on ebay. a guy is running them on his lsx with twins
Old 05-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Holy fast response batman, thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
I will look into them.

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
From what I have seen those manifolds are a copy of the 5th gen ls3 manifolds. Op, what stock manifolds come with the kit?
Stock 5th gen ls3 manifolds are re-used. The kit doesn't come with anything.

Originally Posted by SKULL
you could buy the turbo manifolds that obx makes and sells on ebay. a guy is running them on his lsx with twins
I will look into those as well, thanks
Old 05-28-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I built a turbo kit for an 06 GTO with a 6 bolt ERL/Trick Flow combo and used C6 manifolds with a header flange as a spacer with two gaskets. Thats the cheap way out.

Quick Reply: 6 bolt / cylinder head guys please step inside