Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

BOV and wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOV and wastegate

Need some help guys

What is the different in BOV and Wastegates??

At what point is it necessary or good to have a BOV or Wastegate?
is it a hp thing or is it a boost amount? or is it just better to have one than not having one?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BOV unloads charge side during throttle transients to prevent damage to the compressor, wastegate controls boost by limiting exhaust flow to the turbine.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need the Wastegate, and SHOULD have the BOV for any turbo application. Recommend you get them both.

Like Oange SS said...
Wastegate limits the amount of boost your exhaust can make through the turbo - saves you from overboosting your car and blowing up engine by forcing too much boost into system.

BOV gives the boost a place to go when the throttle body plate closes (letting off accelerator) so that it doesn't go backwards through the turbo and stall it (saves wear and tear on the turbo unit). The momentum of the turbo spinning will continue to make boost even after the throttle is let off. BOV allows it to continue to spin, but gives the compressed air an avenue of escape.

Get em both.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HRHohio
You need the Wastegate, and SHOULD have the BOV for any turbo application. Recommend you get them both.

Like Oange SS said...
Wastegate limits the amount of boost your exhaust can make through the turbo - saves you from overboosting your car and blowing up engine by forcing too much boost into system.

BOV gives the boost a place to go when the throttle body plate closes (letting off accelerator) so that it doesn't go backwards through the turbo and stall it (saves wear and tear on the turbo unit). The momentum of the turbo spinning will continue to make boost even after the throttle is let off. BOV allows it to continue to spin, but gives the compressed air an avenue of escape.

Get em both.
Is no better explanation !
Old 06-04-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Im going with a Procharger system so i would assume all i need is a BOV correct??
Old 06-05-2012, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lbm13186
Im going with a Procharger system so i would assume all i need is a BOV correct??
I'm going to say yes, because superchargers run off the crank/pully instead of the exhaust (i.e. no waste exhaust to wastegate). I'm a turbo guy so superchargers are a bit out of my comfort zone to talk about, however similar the principle is.

Here's a pic of a BOV (round red thing in the bottom left corner) coming off the pipe. (Procharger setup on a Ford Mustang).

http://www.elitestangs.com/forum/sho...up-sbf-mustang
Old 06-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Launching!

your probably going to need a bypass valve depending on the application and setup

Quick Reply: BOV and wastegate