Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cracked piston some advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cracked piston some advise needed

Ok I have a 99 FRC vette and it has a vortech V-2 T supercharger on it. Well I started to get on it and I got a bad vibration from it only while excelerating. The oil looked slightly milky so I thought I blew a head gasket. I started with the side that I thought had the problem. One of my pistons has cracked on the side. I havent even finished looking at the other side yet but here is my concern /question. I loved having the ls1 and still getting 31mpg on the highway at 75mph. This is my car I drive almost everyday.

If you were in my situation what would you do. I know the engine at least needs a rebuild. I have several parts that I have been gathering to build a sick miata. I have a l92 block with weisco pistons,callies rods, an eagle 4.000" stroker crank and lots of other parts to go along with it including ported ls3 heads. Oh I also have a nitrous kit that I wouldnt mind throwing a small shot in to help the vortech spin up faster.

I still would like to get at least 26mpg or close to that. I dont mind using the l92 block to rebuild my motor. I still want to keep the supercharger. I love having the top end power when you need it but still get great gas mileage. Im open to say getting a iron block 6.0 or an ls2 and using the stock crank.

Im just wondering what will kill my gas mileage. Im guessing a big stroker motor will. Also a big cam. I have a around 03 Z06 cam in it at the moment. The car Dynoed 575whp. Id actually like to go for as much power as I can without killing my mpg.

Everybody let me know what you think about what you would do if you were in my shoes. Oh also there are 2 or 3 cars around here Id like to be able to play with. A turbo mustang that made close to 700whp and a camaro I saw run a 9.80. I know I cant have my cake and eat it too but let me know what you think you would do. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics of carnage?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I was you I would put all that stuff in that vet. Get a custom made cam with specs similar to the stoker to somewhat preserve your gas mileage and go have some fun.

Quick Reply: cracked piston some advise needed