Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

whipple on a 01 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default whipple on a 01 trans am

does anyone have a whipple 3.3L on a trans am or camaro with the ls1? if so let me know if you have stock bottom end or not and also how much boost your running and how much power your making plus any other mods if you have done other things too.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6_34
does anyone have a whipple 3.3L on a trans am or camaro with the ls1? if so let me know if you have stock bottom end or not and also how much boost your running and how much power your making plus any other mods if you have done other things too.
i dont have one on an ls1, but i am doing a whippled ls swap into my vette and i planned on getting one on my camaro before i sold it, did alot of research. basically what i found is there are a few people out there that have done it but the majority of tech experts agree that if you put a blower on your stock bottom end ls1, especially that large of a blower, you are on borrowed time. the crank will hold but your rods, pistons , piston rods, everything was not meant for that kind of power. and the ls1 block itself was never really meant to handle boost well there are those that are getting away with it but most agree the cylinder walls are just too thin. rule of thumb when talking boost, just forge everything and save your self a rebuild later. more important things to consider your tranny wont handle the power and neither will your rear end. theres alot more to FI than advertised. if i was in your place, id be looking at an iron block ls1 (6.0l LQ9) and forge everything and go from there. good luck
Old 07-08-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man a 3.3 is pretty big. id look into a new hood and k member. and motor. sounds like a big project.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I want to know too....the 3.3 looks good and all it's the 1000m. I'm using mine on a 427lsx if I ever figure how to lower my compression some.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already have the built tranny and the rear end to hold it and I'm only talking about running 7psi max but I'm not sure if I want to do the whipple or go with something diff I also have a Umi k member and a lot more suspension work done

Quick Reply: whipple on a 01 trans am