Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Critique this PCV setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In a NA application, the intake creates a vacuum and draws air out of the engine crankcase through the PCV valve. To replace the air that's drawn from the crankcase, air is sucked into the valvecover via the vent tube that's connected to the TB.

I did a test today and more air is sucked into the intake via the PCV than the amount of air that comes into the valve cover via the vent tube, meaning blowby is makes up a large portion of the air getting sucked out of the engine, even w/o boost.

http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/geniii...kpcvsystem.jpg
Old 10-11-2012, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok. its hard to wrap my head around all of this. to many hoses and fittings for me to comprehend. but i get it now.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2X Vote

I did something very similar - but what do I know - I've just got an LT1...

Originally Posted by T76s10
heres what i did because i dont like sucking **** back into my engine
Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, so my new plan is going to be to just put a small breather filter on the passenger side valve cover. This will let air into the crankcase in vacuum, and will let blowby out of the the crankcase in boost. Hopefully it doesn't smell to bad. The PCV line from the driver's side valve cover will go into my catch can and then out to my intake through a check valve. Simple enough.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Ok, so my new plan is going to be to just put a small breather filter on the passenger side valve cover. This will let air into the crankcase in vacuum, and will let blowby out of the the crankcase in boost. Hopefully it doesn't smell to bad. The PCV line from the driver's side valve cover will go into my catch can and then out to my intake through a check valve. Simple enough.
I had seen everyone wanting like a minimum of an -8an line off each cover to a catch can with a breather! I'd be curious who thought that was overkill, because it sounds a little ridiculous to me. I thought a single to a catch can would be enough also. Contained pressure is contained pressure, so if a single even -10an off of a valve cover should be enough I'd think.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 67Firebird455
I had seen everyone wanting like a minimum of an -8an line off each cover to a catch can with a breather! I'd be curious who thought that was overkill, because it sounds a little ridiculous to me. I thought a single to a catch can would be enough also. Contained pressure is contained pressure, so if a single even -10an off of a valve cover should be enough I'd think.
-8 is 1/2" ID. I'm going to use 3/8" for the breather filter line and for the PCV/catch can lines. Out of boost this should be fine, the stock lines are 3/8" afterall. If there is still crankcase pressurization issues in boost then I might just do an oil cap breather instead. My truck valve covers only have one port on each cover, the driver's side port is the PCV port. So really I only have the passenger side port and the oil fill hole to vent out blowby when in boost.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

-8 is 1/2" ID. I'm going to use 3/8" for the breather filter line and for the PCV/catch can lines. Out of boost this should be fine, the stock lines are 3/8" afterall. If there is still crankcase pressurization issues in boost then I might just do an oil cap breather instead. My truck valve covers only have one port on each cover, the driver's side port is the PCV port. So really I only have the passenger side port and the oil fill hole to vent out blowby when in boost.
Well keep me posted man, be anxious to see how it works out. I'm getting close on my 67, but you're definitely closer than I am and I haven't even mounted my catch can yet! PS - Where in SLO are you? I'm heading to camp on the dunes tomorrow for the weekend.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Will do. I'm just off the highway 1 north exit, I work in Oceano. Headed to Munich tomorrow though. Hopefully the weather will be better here this weekend, it's pouring right now.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Will do. I'm just off the highway 1 north exit, I work in Oceano. Headed to Munich tomorrow though. Hopefully the weather will be better here this weekend, it's pouring right now.
Right on man, I'll be driving right by ya then! The weather sucks here too, thunderstorm here in Visalia yesterday, highway 41 was closed earlier heading to Kettleman city from here because of it and the flash flooding, they said 1-2 inches per hour rain rate, which is crazy because that whole area is like the freaking desert. Anyways... Keep me posted man and maybe one day I'll get to see the car in person!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just put a vacuum pump system like one from GZ motorsports on it?

Quick Reply: Critique this PCV setup