Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

best Intake manifold with FI

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best Intake manifold with FI

Does having a better flowing intake manifold matter as much with FI? I mean does the flow characteristics matter as much when it is being force fed? Saying that wouldn't a smaller intake volume have better low RPM response to get you to you boost faster?
Reason I am asking....I have an LS1 turbo, is the LS6 intake worth getting? Would I notice it?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

It wouldn't matter much with your setup IMO. You can spend that $250 or whatever somewhere else and do better. The LS1 intake isn't a significant enough restriction at this point.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many answers to this. and probably 50-2000 threads about it as well.

anyway.

price comes into play. if money is no option....call beck, TPis, or a custom fabricator here locally to me makes some nice ones.

your looking at an easy $2000+ for a sheetmetal intake that fits under the stock hood and uses aircraft grade aluminum...and polishing may be extra. they flow well, look awesome, and are more than likely never going to crack a weld when done properly.

the pro flow xt is on a few cars, flows well even at over 1000rwhp. is said to have been fit on several stock hooded f bodies as long as you cut and notch a few places. nice looking piece as well.

the holley hi ram is another nice one. its a giant beast though. the runners are really long. fitment can be an issue. youd need a big hood or to do some serious spacing. lose the windshield wipers, and notch a few area and itd still prob be real right.

the vic jr is cheap but seesm to work well on fi applications. im personally not a fan. i dont like the elbow and all that.

the fast 92/102. $839.99+ often thought to be too much money for the gains, but alot of those claims are on NA cars that really do not benefit from the better and larger runners etc.....and are alot cheaper than sheetmetal and fit

ls6 intakes. 250-400$ cheap...easy to find.....fits well.....lots of people making big numbers using them. not to be underrated because it came on the car. it can handle a good bit of air. one of the few pieces they overbuilt on these cars i guess you could say.

so basically run what you can afford. and what falls into your installation expectations.

Last edited by I8UR4RD; 10-16-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Mighty Mouse(David Chidress) was into the mid 8's with a stock LS6 intake.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by I8UR4RD
Many answers to this. and probably 50-2000 threads about it as well.

anyway.

price comes into play. if money is no option....call beck, TPis, or a custom fabricator here locally to me makes some nice ones.

your looking at an easy $2000+ for a sheetmetal intake that fits under the stock hood and uses aircraft grade aluminum...and polishing may be extra. they flow well, look awesome, and are more than likely never going to crack a weld when done properly.

the pro flow xt is on a few cars, flows well even at over 1000rwhp. is said to have been fit on several stock hooded f bodies as long as you cut and notch a few places. nice looking piece as well.

the holley hi ram is another nice one. its a giant beast though. the runners are really long. fitment can be an issue. youd need a big hood or to do some serious spacing. lose the windshield wipers, and notch a few area and itd still prob be real right.

the vic jr is cheap but seesm to work well on fi applications. im personally not a fan. i dont like the elbow and all that.

the fast 92/102. $839.99+ often thought to be too much money for the gains, but alot of those claims are on NA cars that really do not benefit from the better and larger runners etc.....and are alot cheaper than sheetmetal and fit

ls6 intakes. 250-400$ cheap...easy to find.....fits well.....lots of people making big numbers using them. not to be underrated because it came on the car. it can handle a good bit of air. one of the few pieces they overbuilt on these cars i guess you could say.

so basically run what you can afford. and what falls into your installation expectations.
Well money is not really an option. I also maybe did not make myself clear and you maybe looking at the sig of one of my other cars. I have plenty of room on my Toyota 4X4 pickup to fit an outrageous intake, not that it matters a hood is cheap so I could fit a 6-71 if I wanted.
I have a stock LS1, with ARP rod bolts, with a 224 cam running 9 PS1 on a homemade Garrett rear mount turbo setup. Big numbers are a waste on this, I want instant throttle response and quick boost. If you say a $2000.00 intake will accomplish this better than a LS6 sure I could plunk that down, but I am thinking I will be disappointed with a bottom end that will handle about 500 HP in a 4100 lb truck. From my experience with NA small runners equals crisp low end response but poops out in the top end. The truck is lifted 6" with 33's....Rev limiter is a scary place to be....what if a turn comes up?
So if I can get 20 more HP from bolting on a LS6 intake but lose even a tiny amount of low end grunt that would not be what I want. If I can get both low end and more peak HP increase than hell ya no brainier.....that just does not seem to happen in my experience.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a vic jr. It's big with the elbow and once I get the car going I'm sure I'll switch to an LS6. Fortunately the dang thing fits under my stock firebird '400' glass hood or it would've been long gone.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:06 AM
TECH Veteran

wow.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ake-boost.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ight=intake+FI

Quick Reply: best Intake manifold with FI