Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3+turbo+hot cam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3+turbo+hot cam?

How does the GM hot cam work with a turbo setup?

Motor for sale buy me for $900 5.3 iron new bearings, honed, ported truck heads, GM hot cam and yellow valve springs (believe ls6 springs) ???

Looking at maybe a 80-88mm turbo auto setup

Thoughts for motor setup?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had one in an LS1 and it ran like crap compared to the stock cam. Maybe because it was a rear mount and reversion wasn't my friend, but spool time was absurd vs a stock cam. Keep it simple, that's all I can suggest! You'll be impressed with how a 'small' cam works.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01snake
How does the GM hot cam work with a turbo setup?

Motor for sale buy me for $900 5.3 iron new bearings, honed, ported truck heads, GM hot cam and yellow valve springs (believe ls6 springs) ???

Looking at maybe a 80-88mm turbo auto setup

Thoughts for motor setup?
I am strongly inclined to advise against the GM 'Hot Cam' as well, as I believe it has too much overlap; making a good high rpm N/A cam, but maybe not as well suited for boosted applications, but I am no expert...

Personally I am looking to build a 5.3 using the Comp XR259HR or a custom grind using an intake lobe similar to the LS6 (204 duration / .555 lift) w/ an optimized version of intake lobe of the Comp 265HR (212 duration / .558 lift) on exhaust. Either the XR259HR or my custom blend should provide 15-16 degrees of negative overlap which helps with low end power and possibly spool too.

I plan on speaking with Pat G. to help me spec and build a cam around the beginning of the year to be sure, but my aim is to build a strong (480-500 rwhp) street car-thus my emphasis on smaller cams that will give me usable low-end torque and power....

Take cam advice here carefully because many of the guys on here race and may point you in a different direction (excessive duration and / or lift) than you might really want to go for a street driven vehicle.

Quick Reply: 5.3+turbo+hot cam?