Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Preliminary #s, 402/F1R

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I took my car to G Force Motorsports to experiment with some things, tune on it a bit and get some help from Mike...

Here is the run down of my day....Let me first start by saying my scanner is on the fritz so I can't scan the dyno charts but the one I posted a pic of is the best pulls from both setups so....you get the gist of it....

Here is the synopsis.... All runs were at 180-183* water temps, maybe 10-15 mins in between pulls(long enough to pull a spark plug and flash a tune change)... It was about 85* in the shop and low humidity. All numbers are in SAE/smoothing 5. We did look at an ACTUAL #s (uncorrected) pull since the weather was decent and it was 923hp/840tq...But for the sake of comparison/dyno racing, lets stick with SAE...

First pull hot off the street
808hp/767 tq, 14.5*, 10.80 AFR, 20.7 psi, IAT 81*

Second pull, 15 mins later, switch to the velocity stack
848hp/782tq, 13.5*, 10.6-10.8 AFR, 22.7 psi, IAT 82*

Third pull
884hp/?tq, 15.5*, 10.8-10.9 AFR, 24 psi, IAT 82*

Fourth pull
900hp/820tq, 17.0*, 10.9-11.0 AFR, 24 psi, IAT 82*--I didnt want to push it any more, we could have put another degree or two in it, leaned it out a bit more and let it have a longer cool down time, Mike felt we could have made 930 ish with it but....I felt I pressed my luck enough. 24 psi on pump gas/meth is already up there...especially on a 4 bolt block.

Fifth pull, back to the 4" air inlet/filter--trying to maximize my street tune
838hp/792tq, 17.0*, 10.9 afr@6000 down to 10.59 afr @6500, 20.5 psi, IAT 79*

Sixth pull-final for the street tune
853hp/802tq, 17.0*, 11.39 afr@6000 down to 11.0 @6400, 20.5 psi, IAT 81*.

And that was it, there was a couple other pulls in there that were throw aways...Actually there was a 901hp pull but the velocity stack got sucked right off the blower snout and we had to shut it down early. All in all, the car did great, it was extremely heak soaked but we figured thats how it will be on the street so thats how we tuned it.

I will likely put the timing back down to 15* or so for peace of mind on for longer hwy pulls or for hot days and stuff but...

I have to thank a lot of people, but primarily Bret Bradbury for building an excellent street car that is daily driveable and show ready.... Arun for a great cam, 10 rib setup and hot shot'ing me the velocity stack for testing.... Also I have to thank Mike at G Force for helping make some tuning choices/based off of mine and Bret's inputs and showing me some stuff for the dyno, reading my plugs and giving me feedback based on his vast experience.

Now I very happy with how the car came out and the power it made, it took a lot of boost to get there but with a 226* intake lobe, stock LS6 intake/TB, we had to CRAM the air in there so... Best off the car drives almost like a stocker. I am glad the project is finally over(not that they are ever really done), I am ready to enjoy the car and put some miles and some passes on it.... Hoping to get it to trap 150 mph in Dec on drag radials. We'll see.

I am going to re-do my 4" air inlet pipe/filter setup for less restriction on the street, change the oil over to some sythetic and get a fresh belt on it before the track test.....After that I am calling it done..... (when have I said that before...)

Thanks for reading my story fellas!!

Best pulls from both setups (4" air inlet/air filter vs. velocity stack)

You can see the 4" inlet/filter hurts power all the way across but it really just KILLS it after 6000 rpms... loses 60-70hp.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great results Alan. Don't forget to read the Oil Thread if you haven't already, before you make a choice.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Great results Alan. Don't forget to read the Oil Thread if you haven't already, before you make a choice.
I have not read the "oil thread" yet

I am on my 2nd oil change (400 miles on the engine) and I'm still running regular ole dino oil... I like to get a few thousand miles on them before going to synthetic.... I know most people say it doesnt matter but.... Thats just me.... Better safe then sorry is my train of thought..

Thanks for the tech talk tonight..

I'll be catching up with you soon...
Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 PM
FormerVendor

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...on-anyone.html

Nice results! Does your hp log match the wavy boost curve of the Dyno?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Louis
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...on-anyone.html

Nice results! Does your hp log match the wavy boost curve of the Dyno?
Hi Louis, Yes it does....although it looks much worse on the dyno graph because the scaling is so large...

But yes, not sure why we are getting the fluctuations...looks like maybe some belt slip. The belt was in great shape and very tight...not to mention its a 10 rib, modded HD auto tensioner and the manual tensioner... You wouldnt think it would slip but....maybe it does some..

Here is a screen shot. I put the pointer at 6000 rpms since thats where the power peaked...This log actually shows a peak boost of 24 psi at 6400 rpms but it was done making power by then..

BTW this is a 2.5 bar map sensor so the KPA may not be exactly right due to the scaling differences. We created a Boost pid using the fuel pressure sensor as the input...

All of my boost measure tools are relatively close, + or - 1 psi or so and compare pretty close to the dyno's 3 bar map sensor reading..
Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 PM
FormerVendor

Looks good! Regardless, the Kpa curve isn't nearly as bad as the Dyno would lead you to believe
Old 11-21-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice Alan! I like the fact that your motor is making 575 ft lbs at 3200!!! That must be a riot!! It should feel even more powerful than the BBC Vette now right?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Nice Alan! I like the fact that your motor is making 575 ft lbs at 3200!!! That must be a riot!! It should feel even more powerful than the BBC Vette now right?
That thing must pull like a Bull.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
Thanks man! Yeah it's a completely different feel from the 71'. The 71' has an awesome instant hit at any rpm, any gear.

The Z06 is more depending on being in the right gear when you hit it and its more violent when the blower comes on.. Can't really compare them because they are so much different but.... From a 65 mph roll the Z06 just lights up drag radials in 3rd but once it bites, its time to shift to 4th and its rolling out by then. It hits 145 mph (top of 4th) so quick it's ridiculous...

How is your turbo LS setup doing? I haven't been on TC much to follow your progress.. Do you miss the BBC? I imagine the BBC hits harder/quicker but I bet once your turbo spools up its a lot stronger....
Old 11-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

badass man!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1sickz28
badass man!

Thanks Bryan!

I'm pretty happy with how it all came out for a cruiser/sports car..

Obviously nothing like your monster but it will get me around...

I was pretty suprised that slapping on the velocity stack in place of a 4" inlet pipe/filter was an instant 45hp gain, before tuning.

I'm working on making some changes to my air inlet pipe to reduce that loss to some degree..

I don't know how these F Body guys get around the inlet restrictions considering how tight blowers are on those things..

Any way I have some 28" M&Hs in route and gonna try to shake it down at RPR on 12/7... I'm hoping to break 150 mph, or atleast get damn close.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I was pretty suprised that slapping on the velocity stack in place of a 4" inlet pipe/filter was an instant 45hp gain, before tuning.
Why the surprise buddy-I told you it would work. I learned that about 6 years ago when I was running the F1R back on my car.

Now-I just gotta stop giving away all my little tricks or everyone else will start catching up to me!

Old 11-22-2012, 10:45 PM
FormerVendor

It's really no secret about the inlet. One should ALWAYS pull the inlet off, to see how restrictive the piece is. If done properly, with the right filter, it's worth less than 15 hp.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:55 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Louis
It's really no secret about the inlet. One should ALWAYS pull the inlet off, to see how restrictive the piece is. If done properly, with the right filter, it's worth less than 15 hp.
I beg to differ, on the dyno just pulling off the inlet can cause a loss in power. Test it and you'll see.

But the dyno and going down the track are 2 different things-most guys only play on one playing field so they never find out.

I've tried Volutes in a 4 different sizes and shapes-there's another one that makes even more power-but it will take some radiator modifications to make it work.

There's even some scroll mods for even more power.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:52 AM
11 Second Club

Huge Congrats buddy I love the mid range TQ ...
That thing will be fun to drive...

Good luck with 150mph goal and get us some vids.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Launching!

Stout numbers! Surprised its making that much boost though.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eb02z06
I beg to differ, on the dyno just pulling off the inlet can cause a loss in power. Test it and you'll see.

But the dyno and going down the track are 2 different things-most guys only play on one playing field so they never find out.

I've tried Volutes in a 4 different sizes and shapes-there's another one that makes even more power-but it will take some radiator modifications to make it work.

There's even some scroll mods for even more power.
Very interesting. If you don't mind, could you PM me a link to what Volute you'd reccomend for a D1 in an f-body.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:49 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Very interesting. If you don't mind, could you PM me a link to what Volute you'd reccomend for a D1 in an f-body.

Thanks.
There is no Volute that fits the D1 properly, also because of the location of the F-bodys setups-I would be real worried about picking up anything off the ground.

On the dyno with a big power car-you can actually see small pebbles moving towards the car on a pull.

Alan, DP has the least restrictive inlets. Taylor's elbows are hardly an elbow and he supplies a nice big filter.

Running 150 will be no problem.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eb02z06
There is no Volute that fits the D1 properly, also because of the location of the F-bodys setups-I would be real worried about picking up anything off the ground.

On the dyno with a big power car-you can actually see small pebbles moving towards the car on a pull.

Alan, DP has the least restrictive inlets. Taylor's elbows are hardly an elbow and he supplies a nice big filter.

Running 150 will be no problem.

Yes I was already looking at DP's big mouth inlet setup. I thought about just buying their filter and using my inlet pipe, except I will be cutting my inlet pipe in the middle of the bend and making it more like a 120* bend instead of a 90* AND shortening it way up... Also this will position the big mouth filter above the radiator cover, or atleast half of the filter.

If I can gain 20-25 rwhp of the 45 rwhp I lose with my current inlet, that will be worth the mod for sure....

BTW I need to work something out with you on the velocity stack...
Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by venom ws7
Huge Congrats buddy I love the mid range TQ ...
That thing will be fun to drive...

Good luck with 150mph goal and get us some vids.
Thanks man! Yes its a lot of fun but I'm about to squeeze some 28" M&Hs on it to actually use some of the midrange power.... Right now on 305 Nitto 555Rs its fish tailing from a 70 mph roll in 3rd on good white top concrete on a 85* day...

Originally Posted by STAR
Stout numbers! Surprised its making that much boost though.
Yes, its a lot of boost for sure, I speculate the boost is this high because of the restriction from the stock TB/LS6 intake OR from the rather smallish 226* intake lobe.. No doubt a larger cam, like an Arun stg 4, would lower the boost a few psi and gain a good chunk of power....But for now I am leaving it as is...It runs great and makes good power for a small cam...

Quick Reply: Preliminary #s, 402/F1R