Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problem yes i have FLP's on the car and offroad pipes bolted up with no problems and i have 3 inch ipipe and over the axle pipe
Old 04-17-2004, 05:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone with your kit go to gateway by chance? i wanna see this thing in person!
Old 04-17-2004, 09:09 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I'm ordering my STS kit next week and I'll let you guys know how it goes. I plan on about 10-12psi with the meth kit a turbo cam and bigger injectors. If I spend $4k on a piece of crap I'll be the first to tell you so know one else makes the mistake. I've seen this kit in person on a T/A and was impressed.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

I saw this kit at the track last night IM me if you want my opinion.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F8LPONY
I'm ordering my STS kit next week and I'll let you guys know how it goes. I plan on about 10-12psi with the meth kit a turbo cam and bigger injectors. If I spend $4k on a piece of crap I'll be the first to tell you so know one else makes the mistake. I've seen this kit in person on a T/A and was impressed.
Are you putting it on the vette?
Old 04-17-2004, 10:02 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Nah, they don't make a kit for the Vette due to the solid underpan of the car. Especially with as low as mine is there would be no way in hell for it to fit. LOL

I'm selling the Vette anyway. The T/A will just be my bolt-on 12sec daily driver for good gas milage. The kit will go on the truck. I already run low 14s N/A and would like to see low 12s once I get the kit on and finished. I've built a 600+rwhp Mustang, the T/A went 11.12@123 & 11.65@115n/a. Now I just want something reasonably quick on the streets to **** people off. Nobody likes getting smoked at a light or on the freeway by a 4x4 ext.cab truck. I figure 1.8 60's should be piece of cake at a stoplight launching in 4wd
Old 04-17-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00
i like the concept of the kit though since air expands as it gets colder so it would spool faster. also no mess in the engine bay from all the turbo stuff. when will it hit full boost on a stock car? i have headers, ls6 intake, and soon to have a beefier rear end

Originally Posted by trtturbo
The air expands as it gets hotter, not colder. Cold air is more dense. The volume will make a turbo spool faster, but you still have the velocity. All the exhaust is still going through the same small hole. Plus, the exhaust is cooler, making the turbo cooler, sucking cooler air in the rear, charge pipe is exposed to ambient air, making the kit pretty efficient. There are trade offs with everything, but as I said, the kits are much less expensive and easier to install, and they work great..
P.M. for a good deal on the STS kit.
Wrong, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

The turbo is spooled by exhaust energy (read: heat) not by velocity or volume of the gas. Moving the turbo to the back with MUCH cooler EGT's means much slower turbo spool. Can you put your hand right on a primary of the header pipe while the car is running? Can you go to the back of the car, and touch the exhaust under the axle while the car is running? Think of how much heat is dissapated over that length of pipe, and relate that back to turbo spool.

The STS kit is poorly designed, and should only be considered for budget/ease of install reasons. You can't compare it to a real turbo kit. They try and suck people in with their pictures and text on their site, saying would you want this hot turbo in your engine bay, etc, etc. The answer is yes, because my underhood temps are virtually the same with 2 big turbos and 2 big downpipes in my engine bay as they were before the turbos, and with a good intercooler my charge temps are near ambient anyway.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said, there are trade offs, but many people cant afford $7000-$8000 plus install.
What is so bad about adding 100hp & 125ftlbs with just 5psi on a stock motor?
Old 04-17-2004, 11:41 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Excuse me but how it heat driving the turbo alone? Are you saying that you can take a blow torch and heat up the turbine and it'll spin????

Do a lil more research on their kit and you'll find they do adjust the A/R to work with the cooler exhaust temps.

But it's narrowminded thinking like this that leads to stagnation. Maybe it doesn't work as well as an underhood kit but at half the cost it works well. Glad my buddy didn't listen anyone when they told him he can't run a 250hp wetkit on his truck.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Default Sts

Originally Posted by trtturbo
Like I said, there are trade offs, but many people cant afford $7000-$8000 plus install.
What is so bad about adding 100hp & 125ftlbs with just 5psi on a stock motor?
Absolutely Some people just understand we are not looking for a 1000hp strip car I want a daily driver/sleeper and this kit will do it for me 500hp on a stock motor pretty sweet deal to me. But to me it seems like there is some critisism about this kit, some dont like the idea of it being mounted in the rear then dont buy it, the idea of the charge tube is to act like a type of intercooler and we actually loose less boost pressure through that than front mounted intercoolers with engine mounted turbos go figure just dont bad mouth it 'till you see for sure what it is all about.
Sure its different so was the car when it was invented.

ssblackss
Old 04-17-2004, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

im a little confused? it's heat not velocity that moves the turbo? then that don't explain why every diesel engine on semi trucks run turbo's?

diesel doesn't produce nearly as much heat as gasoline engine, so why the do they use turbos then?

i think people just don't like change. they are so used to turbos mounted on the header and that's it.

if no one ever tried nothing new, then we would still be stuck back in the stone age!

people are so quick to jump to conclusions without actually doing there homework, they would rather just run there mouth and not know what's going on..
just my 02 folks
Old 04-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by marcus26
im a little confused? it's heat not velocity that moves the turbo? then that don't explain why every diesel engine on semi trucks run turbo's?

diesel doesn't produce nearly as much heat as gasoline engine, so why the do they use turbos then?

i think people just don't like change. they are so used to turbos mounted on the header and that's it.

if no one ever tried nothing new, then we would still be stuck back in the stone age!

people are so quick to jump to conclusions without actually doing there homework, they would rather just run there mouth and not know what's going on..
just my 02 folks

Yes sir my point exactly we will see as more and more forward thinkers choose to do things differently and install these types of systems how good they really can be and maybe show with some decent h/p figures that it works

ssblackss
Old 04-17-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Loss of heat = loss of velocity. Either way you look at it the turbo's not gonna perform as well. I still think it's a cool idea, especially cause you can keep your longtube headers.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

"im a little confused? it's heat not velocity that moves the turbo? then that don't explain why every diesel engine on semi trucks run turbo's?

"

Diesels run on heat, heat is what makes them run they produce a lot of heat. But heat is not what spools or spins a turbo. I have done a lot of research and have decided on using this kit. Now mine may be a Lil diffrent then the one you buy off the shelf but it should give me 500 at the wheels with very little lag and stock driveability. Personaly Every thing I have seen about this kit has been positive, I havent seen one "i hate my sts kit" post. I say way to go sts.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ta12sec
Diesels run on heat, heat is what makes them run they produce a lot of heat. But heat is not what spools or spins a turbo.
If heat doesn't spool turbos, then why do 2-steps and anti-lag kits work. They cut ignition timing (raises EGT's) an dump in fuel (creates more heat by combustion in the exhaust). Thermal energy plays a MUCH larger part in the spooling of a turbo than kinetic energy does. If the amount of heat getting to the turbo, all the pro 5.0 guys would run their thumpers in the back to get more weight off the front tires, and more weight onto the back tires.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

So lets all install an acceletane tank and a injector with a ignitor right before our turbos so we can see egts of 1500+ to spool our turbos. Heat causes air to expand so you create more pressure in the exhaust and there for yes there is more pressure to spin the turbo. I never said this is a better setup then a engine mounted turbo. And I never said that if I was building a pure race car I would even consider putting the turbo in the back or middle or any where other then the front. If you want to go racing and shoot for low ets then go spend some $$ and get a custom turbo or a qmp or whatever. If you want to have an easy to bolt on 100-200 gain for a fun street/strip car with out pulling a valve cover I say go with the sts.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Only problem I see with this kit is driving in rain and hitting puddles, a HOT Turbo and COLD water probly wouldnt be the best combination ???
Old 04-18-2004, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

you'd hafta submerge it and remember, there is far less heat in there to begin with
Old 04-18-2004, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well a porsche 911 tt has the turbos about 18 inchs from the head and they are the lowest part of the car and I have never heard of one cracking. There is no sheild or anything either, you would have to fordge a river to harm them
Old 04-18-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eviltwins
If heat doesn't spool turbos, then why do 2-steps and anti-lag kits work. They cut ignition timing (raises EGT's) an dump in fuel (creates more heat by combustion in the exhaust). Thermal energy plays a MUCH larger part in the spooling of a turbo than kinetic energy does. If the amount of heat getting to the turbo, all the pro 5.0 guys would run their thumpers in the back to get more weight off the front tires, and more weight onto the back tires.
well, adding more fuel means there is more exhaust coming out of the tailpipe. and it is true that hotter air will make you spool faster but if you spool immediately and run that way down the track you will have HUGE amounts of backpressure. they heat the air and add more fuel untill the turbo spools and then they let the motor run normally to reduce heat and volume in order to reduce backpressure. heat does play a role but like you stated yourself, there are ways to have the best of both worlds. and if you still have too much lag for your tastes, then downsize the A/R ratio untill it spools where you want it to. be careful though because like i said before: the more lag it has, the less backpressure it will have once spooled.
personally i think this is an excellently engineered and very innovative kit. very cheap, it inherently has its own intercooler, puts weight where it's needed, reduces overall temps, simple to install, retains stock driveability, and is a step into the future.

Quick Reply: Rear turbo???