Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Meth/E users, how much time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I look at meoh/water injection as serving two purposes, 1, it makes things safer and live longer by cooling things down. 2, it adds power, if tuned properly, to take advantage of the extra cooling effect.

I'm far from an expert on meoh/water injection, but I love the tech aspects of it, and do enjoy reading the tech articles and testing. I miss my days of working at Sunoco race fuels and all the fun things they do, but that's for another story.

I'm seriously considering doing a port injection into my FAST manifold using the nitrous ports. I think that would be pimp.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

basically the article was saying - as to why spraying into the intake is less efficient that spraying into the port

1. vaporised methanol takes up more volume than liquid methanol, displacing more air
2. cooling the intake is energy that could have been used to cool the air charge
3. spraying into the intake causes uneven distribution to the cylinders
4. most of the real cooling happens in the cylinder, not the intake.

i think we are close to being able to say "myth busted"

I also find it interesting that they were talking about direct injection as far back as 1984
Old 05-19-2013, 10:32 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I read the 'conclusions' section of the paper, and the points you make are valid, but are directed at the loss of VE, not the increase in detonation resistance.
As hot rodders we are more interested in the detonation suppression effects than the slight loss of VE, after all, we can just up the boost to compensate for a slight loss of VE.
Also point 3, distribution w/ meth injected up stream of TB can be no worse that what the manifold was doing without the meth.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3pedals
I read the 'conclusions' section of the paper, and the points you make are valid, but are directed at the loss of VE, not the increase in detonation resistance.
As hot rodders we are more interested in the detonation suppression effects than the slight loss of VE, after all, we can just up the boost to compensate for a slight loss of VE.
Also point 3, distribution w/ meth injected up stream of TB can be no worse that what the manifold was doing without the meth.
good input 3pedals -

distribution can be way worse if injected up stream of tb. the article even says that.

also, if im reading it correctly, the OPs primary fuel will be eth or meth and he wants to know if there is a benefit to adding an extra injector in the intake piping- in light of that, i have to disagree that having an injector in the intake will make it more detonation resistant.

if the op is using gas and wondering if he should add meth, then ill agree with you that some meth, anywhere in the system is better than no meth at all.

now, something that im now thinking about, is, what if one could spray pure meth at the compressor. not enough to have any changes to af ratio, or even make it into the intake, but enough to be fully vaporised by cooling the compressor. i wonder what that would do for VE
Old 05-19-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I really have no setup yet, I''m just wanting to see what others have thought/done with a setup like that.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done alot of reading on the delta between IAT at TB and the IAT at the intake valve (on a methanol FI EFI engine, injectors at the port). Pending on PSI, it is not abnormal to see a 200* F drop on 20psi (some claim over a 270* drop at 40psi of boost).

On a alky injection nozzel setup in the up pipe on a gas engine, 60 to 100* F drop (temp between turbo outlet & sensor in the intake) is not abnormal if you spray with multiple larger nozzels in the up pipe.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BMF_Racing
I have done alot of reading on the delta between IAT at TB and the IAT at the intake valve (on a methanol FI EFI engine, injectors at the port). Pending on PSI, it is not abnormal to see a 200* F drop on 20psi (some claim over a 270* drop at 40psi of boost).

On a alky injection nozzel setup in the up pipe on a gas engine, 60 to 100* F drop (temp between turbo outlet & sensor in the intake) is not abnormal if you spray with multiple larger nozzels in the up pipe.
I would think more horsepower could surely be made with intake temperature reduction as stated in BMF's post. That's got to be worth something. I think with ethanol based fuels and using methanol injection to cool the intake charge while running non intercooled is a very viable way of beating the system of intercooling so to speak. Chemical versus physical if you will.

Fastest radial tired door car on the face of planet earth in that video warming up. Please pay attention to the screen capture in front of you and watch around the 30 second mark of the video. You will see something that will grab your attention. Why would the fastest radial tire car on the planet inject methanol upstream of the compressor wheel and outlet of the compressor housing while running methanol as his primary means of fueling if there was no benefit to it?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Don't most fast methanol cars inject at several locations ?
Red Victor here in the UK has them in the intake, boost plumbing, before the turbos. Something like 20-24 injectors in total. Although it will be close to 3kHP this time around.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

about a year and a half ago i decided to drop the ic and only use meth.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

im usinmg a pd blower on my current build and plan on spraying liquid pre rotors on hobbs switch. in theory, should relieve alot of heat and compress the meth along with with air charge and pull some heat and drop the iats some. ive seen its a common minimum 50-60* drop and nets quite a strong increase in tq and hp in pd blower street cars, slobras, zl1s, gt500s. etc
Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bad6as
about a year and a half ago i decided to drop the ic and only use meth.

Love your hotside arrangement.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

have a wider angle shot of the setup?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Why would the fastest radial tire car on the planet inject methanol upstream of the compressor wheel and outlet of the compressor housing while running methanol as his primary means of fueling if there was no benefit to it?
If only he knew what we now know and what the EPA knew way back in 1984.

some things on the surface seem to be logical but then testing concludes otherwise and mankind is the wiser for it.

just like it seems logical that methanol would pull more heat out of the air than water because when you get some of it on your skin, it feels colder than water, but with science we know better
Old 05-22-2013, 05:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 71 chevy

some things on the surface seem to be logical but then testing concludes otherwise and mankind is the wiser for it.

just like it seems logical that methanol would pull more heat out of the air than water because when you get some of it on your skin, it feels colder than water, but with science we know better
LOL true, but I still don't think of all racers, that he would be utilizing it in such a fashion if there was not a single benefit from it.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:30 PM
9 Second Club

Not really....this one could go down Hombre's route lol

Methanol will pull more heat, BUT, it would require huge volumes of methanol to do so because it boils at a lower temperature. Which many people are happy to use plenty.

But water is the better coolant both as far as charge temps and chamber temps. Of course, adding water to a fire is always going to have a downside too
Old 05-23-2013, 03:41 PM
9 Second Club

Informative thread.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Not really....this one could go down Hombre's route lol

Methanol will pull more heat, BUT, it would require huge volumes of methanol to do so because it boils at a lower temperature. Which many people are happy to use plenty.

But water is the better coolant both as far as charge temps and chamber temps. Of course, adding water to a fire is always going to have a downside too
lol, go back and re-read what I wrote.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
Informative thread.
VERY! the exchange of information is mind boggling! I keep learning with every post!!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:06 PM
9 Second Club

lol, go back and re-read what I wrote.
I'm agreeing with you.

I'm just saying that methanol can pull the heat too, it just requires far more to do so per degree of temperature change.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:24 PM
FormerVendor

Knowing that I have on accident mixed too high of a % of water to M1 when I was utilizing methanol injection on my turbo car, and how badly it bogged...I can see how it could seriously quench combustion.

I think I'll still stick with methanol.

Quick Reply: Meth/E users, how much time?