Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Early Stage of Single Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early Stage of Single Turbo Build

In the very beginning stages of a single turbo LS1 build. I was very fortunate in having won an online competition by Comp Turbos. The challenge was on Instagram, they posted a black silhouette of a vehicle and our job was to choose the correct vehicle and then pick a RWHP #. The closest to the real dyno numbers win’s a free comp turbo of your choice to fit whatever application you want it for. I choose a Toyota Supra 2jze with 976rwhp. It made 1005rwhp on its first pull. And I was the closest to the end numbers. Justin from CompTurbos has been working with me in getting a turbine that’s best going to fit my application without closing any future doors for a larger build to run higher boost.

So far it’s looking as such, a CT3 67mm Ball Bearing turbine & housing with a paired external WG. Mind you this is not my first time around a SBC build. About 1.5 years ago I built up a 383 Lt1 with the help of ElliotsPort works, a wild not mild 232/240 110. LSA cam with an eagle rotating assembly… Yada Yada Yada. Anyway sold the car and moved up to a LS1. My goal was going to be a GenTTR twin kit over the next 2 years. Now I’ve won the turbo this my goal.. I know everyone runs 317’s with FI but I honestly feel like a set of Lloyd heads will suffice to only running 7-8lbs.

Stock bottom end LS1, single turbo with Lloyd heads. I trust Lloyd, his work is great for a non CNC port. Anyway I’m thinking this… LE2 heads, a custom grind hydraulic (I’m not convinced a solid roller is conducive for this build) turbo cam Lloyd will spec up along with a big front mount setup, LS6 Intake mani and an 85mm TB, meth cooled on pump gas. Obviously all the little goodies in between, rockers, studs, springs, retainers, fuel pumps, oil feed lines, 60lb injectors, etc. I’m familiar with the Walbro 255LPH, with this setup are two necessary also in tank… or no?

My Question to you guys is where is the best mounting position is from your experience, NO rear mount. Im not dealing with the oil feed problems and all the other BS involved. Im thinking either left of the tranny by fabbing the strut to fit a mount somewhat like the GenTTr kit does, without re-locating the AC or ABS that would be ideal or possibly front of the motor by relocating the stock radiator. There’s going to have to be some custom fab for the intercooler and the piping and what not. On top of that I know the 6.0L truck manis are ideal for front mount turbo setups not looking to break the bank so long as the diameters are matched and ported, there cheap and easy to work with, I know that. So that route is looking pretty likely.

Currently as the car sits it has some work… Wires & Plugs, Longtubes, Exhaust, Stage 2 Clutch, Short Throw, Eaton Posi Unit paired to GM High Pro 4.10s, Bosch Oil System, Rapid MotorSports tune. The 4.10s will be the first to go, probably throw in a set of 3.73’s or even stock 3.42’s. Some serious questions I have would be the fuel rail? Am I going to be looking at entirely new fuel system or will stock be okay with the fatty injectors?

After all is said and done I would like to see the car make 540-600rwhp on a stock block running low boost (7-8lbs) with a meth cooled setup. Long term goal would be as such, getting a stronger 12 bolt main, Weisco or an alternative set of piston’s to drop the compression and be able to run a higher boost, maybe bring the overall bore to a 348 or so.. I’m also going to avoid any stroker build up, Im not looking for a drag hog. Just a street sleeper Ls1, upon first glance it’d appear as a normal z28 but when under WOT a turbo beast. I do not need a 9 second car.. I’d be very happy with a 10.99 with a 1.7 second - 60 foot and 132 ET mph.

Let me end the post by going ahead and stating if anyone has negative or degrading comments like all you trolls out there do… Just stop now. This is my build this is going to be my unique setup. You can throw some advice around and problems you ran into and what worked best from what you know, but when it comes to why are you doing this, why do you want that yada yada yada keep it to yourself. This is for serious commentary not for emotional bouts of acclaimed pseudo knowledge. As I get more details from Comp I will update the post, they are spec’ing me my own turbo based on what I want, the turbo and housing is all going to be specific to my setup and that’s that.

I need productive discussion, please send your feedback, thoughts, advice etc. I would to love to hear what some of you guys have to say and suggest. From parts, setups, fab’s, etc. Let me know!

Quick Reply: Early Stage of Single Turbo Build