Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Decided to turbo, guidance for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Decided to turbo, guidance for a newbie

I am 90% sure that I am changing my build direction from nitrous to turbo. I was going to do H/C/I and then spray it to go bottom tens/high nines. After some research and a lot of talk with others I have decided FI may be a better route for a few reasons 1) more power potential for given amount of investment 2) more streetable 3) excited about learning turbo

Please steer me the right direction.

I want a reliable and fast car but don't necassarily need the fastest time slips. I want to drive it often but it will always be a weekend warrior. It will make a few trips to the track and I'd like to drive it there, race it for fun and drive it home. I'd like to get it to the bottom 10's and then eventually break into the nines. I know it's a serious endeavor and I am committed to research, learning and parts gathering. I picked up a crossover and truck manifolds with a waste gate and a T6 mount already. m I better off buying a kit or just slowly collecting parts. I am extremely mechanical and have built numerous N/A small and big block cars that have ran nitrous but have no experience with turbo. I have read the stickies and haven't been scared away yet.

Any guidance or pitfalls to watch out for a newbie. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's something to be said for buying a mostly complete kit that you can more or less "bolt on and go". Those kits may seem like more money up front opposed to trying to source all the components yourself hoping to score deals...unless you know exactly, and I mean exactly what you're looking for, what you're buying, and then what you actually receive......you'll more than likely do a lot of trial and error which equals a lot of wasted time and money. More than likely you don't, being that it's your first turbo build. Take it from someone who speaks with experience.

There are several sponsors on LS1tech that offer complete kits with just about everything you need for for great prices. When I started a turbo build 3 years ago, there really wasn't any of that. Anyone looking to start a turbo build right now picked a great time to do so.

Set a goal, figure out what it's going to take to accomplish it, and stick to it....if you play the "well I might was well do ____________ while I'm doing ___________" just go ahead and triple your budget right now.

Best thing you can do is read all the build threads you can, read all the stickies you can, figure you're going to spend twice minimum what you think you will, and if you still want to do it go for it. FI Is lots of fun.

Last edited by evo462; 08-06-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Decided to turbo, guidance for a newbie