Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

boosted 4.8 89 camaro. need some tips

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boosted 4.8 89 camaro. need some tips

hello guys. im new to this site and could really use a little bit of help. i just recently bought a 1989 camaro. since then i have also acquired a 4.8 vortec motor. a d1sc procharger and a 150 nos shot. so needless to say i have a few questions and have been researching the last few weeks and am really getting a bunch of mixed answers. first question is how much boost can that 4.8 hold? i read the article in hot rod where it supported 1200 hp. now i know thats not praxtical every day but thats pretty impressice so im wondering how much can that lil ls hold daily. from what ive been seeing with a cam, intake, injectors and fuel pump i can safely make 700 and it be safe to drive or maybe im reading wrong. 2nd question is really a call for tips rather. the 4.8 i purchased is still in the truck. i bought the whole truck. would it be easier to take the harness and cpu out of the truck and place into the camaro or buy something that would work better? next question is there a safe way to throw that ntrous into the mix somewhere? and im sure i have allot more questions. so please get back to me at anyoes earliest convenience. thanks in advance
Old 09-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Launching!

Truck harness and computer will work just fine.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Launching!

I've read stock ls engines safely hold 6-7 psi for years and thousands of miles. Some people run 10 psi others run 15 and these setups sometimes last. I don't know about the iron blocks a lot people say aluminum is too weak for a fi setup.... right. Anyways man 6-7 is safe for dd maybe more with meth and awesome tune and alittle luck.

Oh and plan on rebuilding so when it happens your not down and out. Im looking at running a 4.8 in a 78 trans am due to its high revving setup. But I'm not putting it in until I have atleast 1 spare motor for my camaro I'm looking to s/c cause a spare motor in my garage just gives me the warm and fuzzys
Old 09-12-2013, 04:54 AM

Well mine is the iron block and naturally ill be running a 3 core with mi as well. Ill be doing a head and cam swap as well. We was thinking 15 to 18 psi would be ssafe with this setup. I'm not sure what nmber that would put down. I think it would at least do 500 to the pavement

Quick Reply: boosted 4.8 89 camaro. need some tips