Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ4 turbo build, suggestions needed

Old 09-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LQ4 turbo build, suggestions needed

I'm going to build a LQ4 I picked up last week to put in my 87 Monte Carlo SS. (The car already has a stall, 12 bolt rear end, and control arms) My goals are 500-600hp and retain the AC. I'm planning on a budget build, but I don't mind splurging where it counts. I'm planning on using the truck manifolds reversed and the turbo setting on a "Y" pipe like many F-bodys run. I'm going to use the bracket you can get from Summit to relocate the R4 AC compressor up top passenger side of the engine. This should allow me to package everything like I need. I've got a hptuners setup. I plan on installing a wideband O2 sensor and a custom OS on the "411" pcm I have. That'll allow for real time tuning. Transmission is a 200-4R. Plan on keeping it since I've already had it built.

My questions are this:

What cam? I've heard that the stocker will support these power levels. But it appears the LS6 cam would be a better choice. (also does anyone have one for sale)

What turbo? Again I'm only looking for 600hp or so tops. I'm mainly wanting to build this as a daily driver that I could go all over the place in. So I'm not wanting something that takes forever to spool. (I'm also going to intercool it as well)

I've gotten caught up in the rod bolt dilemma. Seems like it's a mess to have them swapped. I've seen a mixed bag of people installing them and toasting rod bearings, and others not having problems. There's others that suggest phasing the torque of the bolts in steps to "fix" it. But my question is, should I bother with bolts? It seems the main thing is not to rev them too high. I'm not looking to rev this thing at 7K.

This will be a slow build. Over this fall/winter, I'd like to at least get the engine reassembled on the stand. And at least get it into the car to start the exhaust/turbo build.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LQ4 turbo build, suggestions needed