Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost controller/wastegate questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Boost controller/wastegate questions

OK guys, so I'm having some issues with my setup.

Currently I have a 38mm wastegate and a 5psi spring installed. A comp turbo 80mm rear setup. 1.32AR exhaust housing and a 408ci engine.

The wastegate definitely doesn't flow enough, I've seen it creep up to 15psi in third gear. How big do I need to go with a wastegate? Should I just add a 2nd 38mm? Would increasing the spring to 10psi solve the creep issue? (I doubt it)

Second portion of the questions: I'm looking for a good boost controller. I'd like to be able to adjust it in the cabin. I think i'm leaning towards an electronic boost controller, but I'm not sure which one. I need something that is reliable. I saw denmah's post that recommends the AEM tru-boost, is this a good boost controller? I also liked the Grimmspeed manual, but i don't want to add a whole lot of length to the already ~8ft long wastegate boost reference line. Can I get some of your setups/recommendations?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

A stronger spring will not make up for a lack of flow.

And I assume with a rear mount, the turbo is at the back, the wastegate is at the back....so why do you have 8ft of hose ?

Take the pressure source from the compressor housing or a takeoff local to it.

Pretty much any of the electronic controllers are decent, and again there would be no need for long hoses with any of them.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

80mm is pretty big for a 38mm WG.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:39 PM
8 Second Club

yeah that needs a bigger, or second gate
Old 11-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

My pressure is picked off at the back of the manifold, I have a speed density tune. There would be a huge pressure differential because of the intercooler/meth injection and small charge pipe running up the driver side (stock STS 2.25").

I understand a bigger WG is needed, but do I need to go with 60mm like Unleashed performance did on their Vette (very similar to my build), or can I do two 38's, Or do i need to do something else? The PTE 60mm is pretty pricey at over 500 bucks. As far as the WG goes, are the generic ebay units similar in quality to the expensive precision/Tial/turbonetics?

Does anyone have any good/bad experiences with the boost controllers? I like that the AEM will fit in my pillar pod and that it's under 300 shipped.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Twin 38s or a 60mm will be good. Your going to get mixed opinions on generic wastegates personally I dont see the point of cheaping out on that since you have a lot into a Turbo build but that's up to you. As for boost controllers for a little more you could get the leash boost controller much better product than the aem. Its all up to you as its your money but even the ams 500 is aboit the same price as the aem you mentioned...

Quick Reply: Boost controller/wastegate questions