Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Last Friday, I decided to call Joe Van O directly to find out the actual status of my hood and to see what is going on. Needless to say, I really wish I would have ordered it directly from Joe. He mentioned that orders from vendors get put aside because they don't pay up front as compared to direct purchases. Well, f*ck me. He asked when I needed the hood and my response was a solid month ago. It sounded like he would try to get it wrapped up and shipped out sometime the middle of this week.

Nate has pretty much buttoned everything up until I get the hood and radiator to him (planning on one trip). He was able to get the cold side completed and the initial bends of the downpipes started. Wanted the hood on the car before routing anything through the fenders. Hopefully this hood can show up VERY SOON and get this thing ready for Spring.

My Dad added an aluminum open trailer to his stable over the weekend. Will be nice and easy for simple destinations of pulling my car.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received a large package yesterday from Joe Van Overbeek. The carbon fiber hood finally arrived! The first thought when looking at it: I can't believe how thin it is!

I loaded it up right away, stopped and grabbed my radiator, and made my way to One Guy's Garage.

I needed to make sure my intake was going to clear. And it also allowed me to take a look at all of the progress in person.

Everything clears with ease!! Whew!

I know the clearance photo didn't turn out very well. I should have taken it when we had flashlights out.

Nate mentioned he will be working on mounting the radiator and the rest of the exhaust today. The only thing that would remain at that time is mounting the hood. Waiting on some hardware that hopefully will be ready next week for the hood.

May have more photos tonight!
Old 03-29-2018, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

What would you say the hood weighs?
Old 03-29-2018, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 3 window
What would you say the hood weighs?
Not 100% sure but I believe I have seen 9lbs posted before.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

Nate spent a little time today mounting the radiator and finishing the downpipes.

It is getting closer and closer. Nate is going to work on the hood rails and getting the mounts made for that and then I will be going to pick it up and get things buttoned up closer to home. Will get some paint on the new front, paint the hood, finish mounting the hood, a few hoses and wires, and hopefully be able to hear this thing fire up!

Oh, and yeah, 4-8" of snow forecasted for tonight through Wednesday.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Coming along very nicely. I predict one or two shakedown passes then a 7.64 @ 176.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Coming along very nicely. I predict one or two shakedown passes then a 7.64 @ 176.
I would probably **** my pants if that happened! Might be able to get there in a couple of outings though.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

You went a .22 at quite a bit more weight and some boost issues, if I recall. It’s gonna ride.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

You went a .22 at quite a bit more weight and some boost issues, if I recall. It’s gonna ride.
Correct. We will see where it gets to this year.

Received some updated photos of the mounts for the hood. Ended up using some rails from Racecraft that were modified slightly for my car. I think they were originally based for a Mustang. Just need to mount a couple of for the back of the hood and it will be ready for me to pick up.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

And the fabrication work is done! Ran up to Lakeville last night and picked up the car. Nate finished all of the fabrication work on Tuesday. Will try to remember to take a couple pictures of the remaining components that were added. Snapped an engine shot when we got it on the trailer. Wish everything would stay looking this nice!

Will probably start tearing the car down tonight to get ready for paint. Started making a small list here of everything needed before getting this going. Can't wait to hear it start, run and make boost!

Oh, and yeah, 4-8" of snow coming tomorrow! Fantastic.....
Old 04-13-2018, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car is looking awesome.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quality Build

Now that’s a seriously nice build and I’m sure you will have plenty of fun, this car still street legal? Enjoy and looking forward to your results... I have some Gen1 6266 Precision’s here and a KB blower im loving too.. just not sure which I want to build 1st...
Old 04-14-2018, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
Car is looking awesome.
Originally Posted by Rudy72
Now that’s a seriously nice build and I’m sure you will have plenty of fun, this car still street legal? Enjoy and looking forward to your results... I have some Gen1 6266 Precision’s here and a KB blower im loving too.. just not sure which I want to build 1st...
Thanks guys.

I am still planning to drive it on the street. This year will be quite a bit different without the exhaust going to the rear, the larger hood, the manual steering and brakes, and using a bluetooth speaker for a radio. But I'm still planning to put miles on it.

I would highly recommend the Turbos. I had a blower, granted it was a procharger, but went straight to turbos after riding in a turbo car.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

I wasn't available yesterday but some friends worked on getting the hood mounted. It was described to me as a nightmare and time-consuming. Got most of the quik latches installed. Have a couple left to install and a little more modifying to get everything to fit. But it is a start.

My Dad also stepped up from his 1/2 ton GMC and bought a 2010 3/4 ton Diesel. Planning to use this for some pulling.

It looks good with the trailer behind it.

Can't wait for the maiden voyage.

More to come.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have read it always seemed like it would be a pain to get a hood mounted like that. I will be get to enjoy the process in a couple years though. New motor, trans/converter and front suspension for me. Don’t want to spend anymore this year lol.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Making a little bit of progress. I put an order in for a bunch of random parts to get this buttoned up. Ordered a swiveling thermostat housing that should help route my radiator hoses. Also ordered a couple different fittings for the upper and lower radiator hoses for routing purposes. Had to get one hose for a turbo feed and also hoses and fittings for my oil filter relocation lines.

Today, we got the oil relocation lines built and installed. Also got the engine diaper back on the car. From there, we finished the wiring for the coil packs.

Getting pretty close to being able to start it up.

I also had been giving some additional thoughts on safety after listening to Eric Yost on some podcasts. I ran across a pretty crazy deal on Sparco Air Xtra Light SFI-15 pants and jacket. I can't believe how much lighter these are compared to my SFI-5 ProFox gear. Very happy with my purchase and will even meet all the tech requirements for E85. Also ordered a set of SFI-20 Gloves and Shoes. The final safety item I ordered was a Simpson Super Bandit Helmet. That should arrive on Monday.

Ready to get this thing on the road and start seeing what bugs I have.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Default 2018 First Start

I think I jinxed myself when I mentioned bugs in the last post. Was planning on firing this thing up last night and ran into some issues. The first thing was the MAP sensor took a **** on me.

Next, I had some stuff in my 2018 tune messed up.

Ended up plugging last years tune in the car, hooked up a different MAP sensor, hit the key and we had oil pressure. Fuel, spark, and oil pressure. All a good thing!!

Running into some issues with the intercooler fitting. Will need to redo some of the tubular front fabrication. Hoping to get that done as quickly as possible. From there, should be able to tear everything down, and get the front painted. Also need to finish fitting the hood and trimming it down. Then that can be painted. Really looking to get everything into high gear to get this out for a drive!! I can't wait now!

Today was a good day!
Old 05-05-2018, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome. Congrats on the start up. Always a nice accomplishment. Hard to believe that’s a 7 second car sounding so tame!!!
Old 05-11-2018, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome. Congrats on the start up. Always a nice accomplishment. Hard to believe that’s a 7 second car sounding so tame!!!
Well, I don't the camera does it justice. It is pretty loud in the garage. Tonight we whacked the throttle a couple of times and it sounded awesome, but it was loud. Hoping the outdoors dampens it a bit.

Need to give Nathan Shaw with One Guy's Garage a shoutout. The intercooler ended up being too tight in the bumper when putting everything together. I asked him if he could swing down to our shop and make the modifications. He did and it was a huge help from my side. Slid it into his schedule right away after getting back from vacation. Huge thank you to him! Ended up moving the intercooler back about 1.5".

Had the body guy over tonight and we finished mocking the hood. Got everything trimmed to fit and ready. From there, we tore the car down to to the tubular front to prep for paint for that. The turbo kit is pretty simple to remove. It was awesome. The Alphalocs are amazing too!

Will most likely get the tubular front painted early next week. I have the glass guy scheduled for Wednesday to come and install the windshield and roof.

Will put everything back together after the tubular front being painted and fit the hood one last time. From there, I will send that with the body guy to get painted.

Next, I should be able to finalize the wiring and plumbing and be off and running for the year. Can't wait to start driving this around.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

We are rolling right along. Had the glass guy out this afternoon to glue the windshield back in as well as the roof. I was racing over there after work to see the progress. The roof was glued in by the time I got there and everything went well. He was putting the final glue on the windshield and we were ready to stick that down as well. It is starting to look like a car again.

I was coordinating the time earlier this morning with the glass guy, and the body guy said he was stopping by today as well. When I arrived, the car was all masked and papered off ready for paint. After we got the window and roof in, the Kiehne's started doing what they do best, making the car look and shine better. A little bit of primer, followed by some Sunset Orange Metallic, and topped off with some clear. It is amazing how well it pops. The tubular front looks awesome and I can wait for final fitment of the hood and get that painted!! The old paint always looks good until you put new paint near it. The difference is crazy.

Love how it turned out. Will probably look twice as good in the sunlight.

Reassembly occurs tomorrow night! I better put a little bit smaller springs in the gates too.

Also time to get rid of those 6766 numbers. Ready to update to the 7675.

A buddy of mine is also heading South this weekend to pick up his dyno. Could we see numbers soon? We will see?

Quick Reply: SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car