Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
Intake was basically $1700 for the bottom. It's on Lil John's site.

No privileged discounts here. Will gladly start accepting if available though!
just kiddin brotha! Your car’s super badass. I’m stoked to see it come spring.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to see you got the back fixed! Love the direction the build is goin. Can't wait to see you In the 8's next year!
Old 12-04-2017, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 window
just kiddin brotha! Your car’s super badass. I’m stoked to see it come spring.
It's all good. Appreciate the good words. I can't for spring to get it out and ripping around.

Originally Posted by milkey57
Glad to see you got the back fixed! Love the direction the build is goin. Can't wait to see you In the 8's next year!
The back surgery has been the biggest relief. I can't even put it into words. I was so beat up and bummed just before the surgery from the amount the nerve pain had taken out of me.

Waking up from the surgery and having no pain, incision pain gone within 3 days, tightness from stitches about 1.5 weeks, has been a lifesaver. It is difficult to try to take it easy, but I know that is the best approach.

I am hoping it will be in the 8's coasting from the 1/8th.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by milkey57

Ugh........I think you means 7s.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

The UPS guy dropped off a box from Midwest Chassis today. Received parts for the manual steering, manual brakes, seat swap, and roof swap.

Received the rest of the pieces for the Manual Steering Swap.

The manual steering rack adapter for the K-member:

Also received the steering shaft:

These will go with the Pinto Rack and Spohn Bump Steer Kit that I already have received.

Also got the crotch strap for the passenger seat for a connection point for the 5-point harness in my change from factory seat to aluminum seat:

I'm also going to cut some weight by converting from power brakes to manual brakes. Received the conversion kit today:

Also received the roof rails for the conversion from a T-top to a hardtop car.

Received word from Mike Kostick the roof has been completed and will ship this week. Should have photos of that soon.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Another day, another delivery.

Received my Sheetmetal Lid for the intake from 417 Motorsports today.

I better hope this monstrosity fits!! Another piece to the puzzle.

Also received word the carbon roof arrived today. May have to make a trek across town to take a look and photograph that.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to do the roof yourself?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
Are you going to do the roof yourself?
Yes, for the most part. Started that process tonight. I didn't run down to take a look at the new roof but decided to work on the car instead.

Started pulling some of the interior trim pieces. This allowed me to remove the factory seat belts and some of the hardware for the T-tops. Removed that hardware, the weatherstripping, retainers and some other miscellaneous pieces from the T-tops. Then the fun came. Took a prybar and ripped the old sail panel off. About halfway through, we got a heat gun out and that made things a little simpler to heat up the glue before prying. We had no intentions of saving anything, so that helped speed everything up by just destroying the old one.

Here is what it looks like without the sail panel:

From there, we took a razor blade scrapper similar to what a window installer would use to remove the remaining glue / fiberglass. This type of tool really simplified this. If you don't have this setup, I would recommend just having the window guy scrape it off. Comes off very simply.

From there, we were going to swap the power steering rack for the new manual rack. There is one bolt that would not clear the engine. So that will be delayed until we pull the engine. I decided today that I am going to pull it and have everything looked at this winter before throwing more power to it. So the swap to manual steering will have to wait until after that.

Decided to pull the aluminum exhaust off. I have this for sale and figured I should put it on the scale to see what it weighs. That could be a perk for selling, and I would like to add it in my spreadsheet. Weights of a bunch of the stuff will be upcoming at some point.

After that, we decided to set the intake in the engine bay, just to see what we were getting into with that. Sure enough, it might be a tall task (no pun intended). Will be chopping the cowl, but also need to see where we sit when the new hood comes. To be continued.... Really hoping I can make this work. 4th Gen F-Body problems.

Lastly, removed the Ram Air hood (also for sale). Figured there was no use working around it. Hopefully the new hood stays on track, schedule wise. Looking at mid to late January for that.

All in all, a little bit of progress. Not bad for about 2.5 hours.

More to come.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Love this new build can’t wait to see the roof and front end and what it weighs after everything.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
I had a local company in Rochester here build it, Baier's Engine Service. I made the mistake of buying an AES 390 back in the day. Went through that hassle and joke in dealing with that horseshit company.

After I cracked a block, I went with the LSX block and kept it local. I liked the cubes the 3.825" stroke gave me. Small stroke, small bore.
If I break my AES 390ci.....or I guess when it breaks. I'll go with a LSX iron block and maybe even have it sleeved. It might live awhile at 1,000 RWHP.

Just street driven.....no drag racing.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Time for an update.

Ran out to the shop tonight, but first stopped and picked up the Mike Kostick carbon fiber roof. The box hardly fits in the back of the pickup, but literally weighs nothing.

I have never been a huge fan of the look of carbon fiber, except in small quantities, until this. It is pretty damn sweet. Pulled it out of the box and just set it in its place on the car. The fit is great, based on all the stock stuff. I am sure it will be just as good once the cutting and welding get done. The windshield guy comes this weekend and so hopefully that procedure will start. I think the carbon look will grow on me, and planning to keep it that color rather than black or orange. Will let the photos do the talking, and I know there will be opinions on both sides.

Also threw the old aluminum exhaust on the scale. I'm guessing the weight is close based on the large size and difficulty for accuracy. The 3" true dual from the front of the transmission to the tips at the back bumper, including (2) SS mufflers, hangers, V-bands, etc was 38.6lbs! Need to update my sale post with that weight. Very nice selling point.

Also never took a photo of the new plug wires. Decided to snap a couple of the Magnecor's.

I can't stand fire engine red, but I guess these will have to do. They are good enough for Farmer Brown, they should be good for me. Wish the Holley harness would show up now!

Talked to John Bewley earlier this week to reinvestigate the cam. We have decided to change the specs on the cam. Won't be running the 388" BTR cam but something different. I am guessing that will show up next week. Will update at that time.

Decided to actually do a little bit of work on stuff tonight. Planning to bring the engine hoist home later this week and pull the engine to have it freshened. So I started minor stuff tonight by changing trunions. I pulled the old Comps and replaced with the CHE's. Back was a little stiff after working on removing the old trunions on the vise. But I made it through.

Lastly, got home and had a couple of packages at the house.

The first were the new head gaskets for the refresh from Cometic:

And the 2nd was some used weatherstripping for the doors that I bought. Photos of that to come when looking to install.

Also was discussing the status of the turbos with my supplier earlier this week. He mentioned the compressors and the housings were backordered. C'mon Precision, get your **** together!!

Stay tuned!
Old 12-20-2017, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

That roof looks awesome. The intake is badass too! How about a little black heat shrink over the red wires and change the boots to black? (Just an idea to get rid of the red)
Old 12-21-2017, 08:48 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the roof! How do you plan to finish the inside of the roof now? Will a factory style non T-top headliner or just leave it bare?
Old 12-21-2017, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ratical
I like the roof! How do you plan to finish the inside of the roof now? Will a factory style non T-top headliner or just leave it bare?
Most likely leave it bare. But I may put the T-top headliner back in too. Won't be spending the money on a hardtop headliner.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

How do you secure the top and front of the roof down? What didn’t you like about the BTR 388 cam?
Old 12-21-2017, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sbcgenII
How do you secure the top and front of the roof down? What didn’t you like about the BTR 388 cam?
The roof will be secured with windshield urethane adhesive. Basically a bead around the perimeter. Need to get roof rails welded in above the doors, and a combination of cutting a bunch of metal out of the roof area.

A buddy of mine converted his from a T-top to a hardtop. Here is basically a sneak peak of his before the roof is ready to be applied:

I had a discussion with John Bewley in regards to my old cam that had the lobe scuffed. I was curious if he had heard of this happening or what not. He mentioned Comp had issues with lackluster surface finishes leading to spalling back in 2015, which led Billy Godbold to get really serious about it and they just released that new MSE polishing at SEMA.

The BTR 388 Cam I received didn't have that polishing. He offered to spec me a custom cam to make sure I get that polishing as well as the lobes are a lot more stable than what the shelf cams are on which is going to help to.

I believe the new cam should be something close to these specs: 245/257 .614/.614 118+5.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Merry Christmas to everybody!

Not much progress the last couple of days. Will probably slow down for a little bit here.

The glass guy was unable to stop by on Saturday to pull the windshield. Didn't have as much much motivation after that.

Did manage to get the engine pulled. Will be taking that to the engine shop this week to have it tore down and looked over. Going to send the lifters to Johnson to see what they say about them. There will be a little bit of a delay getting things back together based on that, and also depending when the cam comes back. Hoping that everything looks good.

Pulled the power steering rack and braided lines and installed the new manual rack, steering shaft, and bump steer kit. Didn't have the scale there but will try to remember the next time to get some updated weights of parts that are coming off.

Also have the brake booster removed and lines rerouted. Will be focusing on some cleanup around the engine bay as well as preparing for the front to be cut off by rerouting and removing some stuff.

Not much new.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

I decided to celebrate Christmas today as Santa had a delivery with a little Precision Turbo and Engine love on the box.

My new turbocharger have arrived. It has been a long month of December waiting for these fellas to show up.

I had to open them up to see what is going on for 2018.

Overall, the turbos did not seem much different in size than the 6766's. Wish I still had one to set these side by side. I was very shocked with the weight. Through the entire box on the scale to see where these came in.

42.8 lbs for the pair compared to 52 lbs for the 6766's. The stainless exhaust housings must be significantly lighter than the cast. Another perk!

Also dropped the engine off at the Engine shop today.

Sounded like they should be able to get to it right away. Going to look things over and just refresh it.

Also was supposed to get the new cam today, but was not dropped off due to a signature. Have that waiting for me to pick up tomorrow.

Great to see things starting to come together!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Ran by the UPS Center today and grabbed the new camshaft.

Camshaft was spec'd by John Bewley of LJMS. Discussed the new combo with him and this is what he came up with:

245°/257°, .614/.614, 118+5. Can't wait to fire it and hear that.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:57 AM
8 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

That should be a really healthy sounding cam! It's interesting how cam profiles are not always what you would expect. It looks like you have cathedral port heads. Your intake/exhaust duration has a 12 degree split. The 388ci I just bought has Dart LS3 heads but the cam he chose for that was 231/245, only a 14 degree split. I would have thought there would be either a larger spread with mine or closer with yours. Almost same lift figures but yours has a lot more duration and mine was ground on a 115 +5. What do you twist your engine to?

Quick Reply: SOM LAG Project: 394ci, 25.3, Twin PT7675 Gen 2's, PG, E85, 7-second Street Car