Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Water pump and hot side issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump and hot side issues.

I bought my Hotside and turbonetics 78/75 off of a Buddy and member on here, well somehow with both of us having truck manifolds and the exact same car (LS1 and Lq4 camaro) when I mounted the kit (nothing changed when he took it off and sold it to me) the turbo is sitting within a 1/16th of an inch from the water pump snout, but yet his had over 1/4" clearance. Do the Lq4 and LS1 have different style water pumps? I would rather change water pumps then to have to sell and re-do the entire hotside. Any suggestions? Will Try and get u some pictures of how close. Like I said its within a 1/16th of an inch, Im afraid even when the water pump wears through the turbo blanket and things heat up that it will rub and cause vibration. Any suggestions are welcome, Im a newbie at this forced induction side so be easy guys! Thanks ahead of time!
Old 07-02-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which water pump is on it? A stock LS1 style pump or a truck style pump? I know some guys go with the corvette style pump because the pulley is flat on the front instead of sticking out and having that big round pulley that sticks out really far.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:44 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

The big one is the LS1 pump. I picked this one up next to it off Ebay. It was listed as an LS7 pump.

I did have to pull the pump about 1/8th inch or maybe a little more to get the Fbody accesses and belt to line up.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys! It has the stock ls1 water pump on it. I am seeing that the Ls2 corvette style water pump works as well, but do I need different accessory drives or will the belt still line up the same? Or can I just pull pump pulley out 3/8" in or so and be fine? I am relocating the alternator to the top for my turbo kit for more info needed. My question is, Do I need anything else or can I just swap water pumps and put new gaskets on and be good to roll?

Last edited by Ls1nutZ28; 07-03-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1nutZ28
Thanks for the info guys! It has the stock ls1 water pump on it. I am seeing that the Ls2 corvette style water pump works as well, but do I need different accessory drives or will the belt still line up the same? Or can I just pull pump pulley out 3/8" in or so and be fine? I am relocating the alternator to the top for my turbo kit for more info needed. My question is, Do I need anything else or can I just swap water pumps and put new gaskets on and be good to roll?
You can also get 1/4 spacers and run the corvette pump (look on eBay). I tried to pull the pulley out on a corvette pump and didn't have any luck (bent pulley and didn't move on the shaft). A replacement pump and the spacers worked out well. The belt is at the edge of the pulley, but I don't have issues with it coming off.

Last edited by unnatrl; 07-03-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Water pump and hot side issues.