Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pre build advice (turbo LT1)...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre build advice (turbo LT1)...

I have a 95 Z28 M6, 383 fully forged bottom end, 8.8:1 CR, and I am wanting to go the turbo route. I have decided to go with an 88mm turbo.

I have some pre build questions though. For starters, what 88mm turbo does everyone recommend? I was thinking precision, but I am up for other options.

Next is the hot side. I plan on fabricating this myself (fairly handy with a welder), but I need a good starting point. Someone mentioned that BBK headers will work, someone else said Summit brand will work, but will any SBC header work? I just need some cheap flanges to start with so I can fab up the rest.

Thanks for any advice in advance
Old 10-20-2014, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say you should try Garrett, Borg or Turbonetics. I have been hearing a lot of issues with Precision lately. I know a guy here by the name of Show No Mercy used BBK headers. I think any SBC header could work, but it would be better if it had the D-port flange like the LT1 ports are shaped for adequate flow. If you are looking to fab your own headers, Jegs sells a LT1 flange for the "make your own style header" idea.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Price wise I would be looking into a Borg warner turbo. Check out forcedinductions.com

Also I would suggest half filling that LT1 block prior to machining if it already hasnt been.

If you can get some BBK or something to fit I would suggest cutting the flanges off and going 1/2 thick. Also look for a header with at least 16awg tube thickness.

Jay

Quick Reply: Pre build advice (turbo LT1)...