Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How do you know what waste gate to get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you know what waste gate to get?

I am a turbo newb. I have no idea what determines what waste gate should be used.

I am still in the turbo selection process and don't have anything concrete yet on what I will get, but it will be "around" the size of an 88mm turbo pushing upwards of around 24#'s of boost at its max. Looking for 1,000 at the tire.

I have heard lots of guys say that they have had issues with upping the boost, or having the boost bleed off. I am guessing this is due to improper springs in their wastegate. But again, I am a newb, and want to learn so that once I have the right wastegate picked out, I won't have to deal with these issues later.

I don't know if it matters, but I plan on running an eBoost2 controller.

A little on a second topic: How do you know what BOV to run? I was going to run a Tial 50mm BOV, but someone said that may not be enough for what I am going to be running? Any advice here also?
Old 10-23-2014, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A WELL placed 60mm will do, but I would do twin 44mm's to be safe. For a BOV the TiAL 50mm should be enough. Maybe ProCharger Big Red if you run into issues.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DEFYANT
A WELL placed 60mm will do, but I would do twin 44mm's to be safe. For a BOV the TiAL 50mm should be enough. Maybe ProCharger Big Red if you run into issues.
Thanks for the input.

How would I know if the Tial wasn't enough? Its very loud, so I know it moves a TON of air. Is there some way of calculating what I need? I just don't want to run into issues during my build.

Anyone else have any info?
Old 10-26-2014, 05:07 AM
Teching In

Placement is more important the smaller you go. The higher the boost you run, a smaller the wastegate can be used, the lower boost you run on a big turbo, the bigger wastegate you're gonna need to keep the boost creep down. I'd spring for two 44mm, but I bet you could get away with well placed 38mm gates.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:10 AM
Teching In

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-stories...nd-wastegates/

Makes me think a 50mm BOV is excessive lol

Quick Reply: How do you know what waste gate to get?