Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Those that have a stand up radiator setup; I need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those that have a stand up radiator setup; I need some help...

So, my plan is to do the standup radiator mod in my 95 Camaro. I know there are guys doing this with a lot of success out there. It seems a great way to free up some room, while still giving you great cooling.

What I don't have and need are pictures of the setups (a "how to" thread would be perfect), what radiator you would recommend, and any additional information on how to get this done in my car.

I was planning on running a Griffin radiator with some aftermarket fans, but don't know what model I need to go with.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Okay, I found some good info here; https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...icle-here.html

Sorry for not finding it earlier in a search. I was searching for "stand up radiator", instead of "vertical radiator".

It seems the Griffin radiator to get is; - Griffin 1-25241-X
Be Cool Fans (puller style) - BCI-75007
Be Cool Fans (pusher style) - BCI-75044

And found that radiator here; http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-25241-x

I'll still take info and pics if anyone has anything to add.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:41 PM
TECH Regular

Okay, so after some more reading, it seems I may have an issue. I really want to use my windshield washer reservoir for my meth injection tank. And those that are standing up the radiator don't seem to have the WW tank anymore.

Can the radiator be stood up and still fit the WW reservoir somehow? Or am I hosed and need to find another spot for my meth? I am really hoping to find a way to retain the WW reservoir as it holds a good amount of meth, and I really don't think I'm going to have much room elsewhere under the hood to fit a seperate methanol tank with any capacity that will work without constantly having to fill it.

Anyone??
Old 11-29-2014, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 3" thick radiator is going to be hard to get air through. Going to need super fans
Old 11-29-2014, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by b4cz2896
A 3" thick radiator is going to be hard to get air through. Going to need super fans
Finding fans to move enough air is not going to be a problem. Lots of guys have done this modification and have fans that have proved more than adequate of moving air.

I also have found that standing the radiator up will still allow for the factory windsheild washer reservoir IF the fans are used as puller fans behind the radiator, which brings me to my problem. The S400 turbo I am going with is HUGE and I just don't think I will have room for puller style fans between the radiator and the turbo, which will force me into using pusher style fans instead. This would be fine except with pusher style fans, there will not be room to run the washer fluid reservoir anymore. I just don't know where I will put a tank that will hold any substantial amount of fluid like the reservoir.

I have searched to try and find exactly how much the factory reservoir holds, and I can't seem to find it. Via the interwebs, I have heard people guess 4 gallons (which I think is a high guess), to 2 gallons which is likely more accurate.

Quick Reply: Those that have a stand up radiator setup; I need some help...