Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bought my first turbo car..

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Bought my first turbo car..

I had planned on putting a Procharger D1 on my Z28 and swapping to auto but a 2000 WS6 A4 car on Craigslist caught my eye. The car has a Huron V1 truck kit with venerable TC78. At 105k miles she has a ding or two and needs a good buff and detail plus the front seats are split at the outer seam on the bottoms. Besides the turbo kit it has an LS6 intake and a little SD tune work. Stock injectors, 4L60, and fuel pump. I don't know how much boost it's making but I'm guessing 6 PSI. I don't think that it's a bad start for $6k. Here is the plan for the car based largely off of what I already have. Please let me know if you have suggestions or better ideas.

- Already have forged 347 shortblock. Manley Rods, 12cc dish pistons, Eagle crank, TSP 224/224 .581 cam on 114 LSA. Should be a tick over 9:1 CR with 243 heads using online calculators.

- Will research and buy head gaskets and head studs.

- I'm undecided on heads. I'm selling the stock driveline to a friend so I'll need heads. I'm not budgeted for $2,200 heads. Maybe used PRC's or another set of Livernois as I like them.

- Have 4L80E tranny and ordered an HD2 shift kit.

- Will buy the Lokar dipstick, MWC crossmember, and someone's stall. Looking at the HUGHS Flexplate.

- Have FAST 92/92, 80lb Deka injectors, and Holley fuel rails with lines. Will probably order a twin pump kit from Huron and a boost regulated FPR after researching more.

- Have 3.73 geared S60, BMR LCA's and UMI T/A.

- Have AEM A/F ratio gauge that NTB installed

- Need exhaust piping from turbo back. Car came with uninstalled Magnaflow. Plan on getting a cutout.

- Need Boost and Fuel Pressure gauges.

- Currently researching water/meth injection kits for use with 93 pump gas.

- Find a competent tuner within 2 hours or so and maybe learn tuning if my "husband/daddy" schedule allows.

I'm sick and coming off of my NyQuil buzz so please excuse details that I've missed or outright stupid crap. My goal for the car is to have a pump gas street car that is fun and max out what I have before dropping cash on the inevitable custom cam and bigger turbo. Attached picture is the car as I purchased her.
Attached Thumbnails Bought my first turbo car..-turbo-ws6.jpg  

Last edited by JosephIV; 12-09-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Joe,
are you interested in selling the procharger kit? I may know someone interested.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01boydws6
Joe,
are you interested in selling the procharger kit? I may know someone interested.
I'm interested in selling Evan. I haven't done anything with it except strip most of the pipes as I was going to have them powder coated locally. Have them PM me or hit me up yourself with details and we can work it out. Thanks man!
Old 12-09-2014, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

motor looks fine, should hold more than the t78 will make, easily! for heads, if you cant find used, a good choice is CNC RHS/Dart heads that wont hurt the bank..or 243's getting ported will work perfectly fine as well..big dollar heads arent needed unless you wanta thicker deck head, something thats just nice and helps a lil bit if you have a huge stacka $$.. and an alky control meth kit is an awesome kit!! i have one and run 93 pump.. they send you a new washer fluid tank and you use that to hold your meth, its awesome lol. other than that you should make around 700wheel thru that turbo and have a drivetrain that can easily hold it. what rear end you have?
Old 12-09-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks speedie. I have been looking at the Alky setup. Looks complete. I have a Strange S60. It's a tank for sure.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

On the dipstick try the madman dip stick for the 4l80e I just used one and it's a perfect fit the lokar has been know to read incorrectly .
Old 12-09-2014, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ws602
On the dipstick try the madman dip stick for the 4l80e I just used one and it's a perfect fit the lokar has been know to read incorrectly .
Thanks for the reply. I will look at the Madman setup. I found a Lokar on here for $45 so I thought I couldn't go wrong. I'll check out Madman now.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Insane chassis works is the site
Old 12-09-2014, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice purchase, does it have dyno numbers on the huron speed kit?
Old 12-09-2014, 04:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

let me know when you want to get set up on the pump kit!

also, I would sell the FAST stuff, and put that towards your cylinder heads, and an ls6 intake.

we can get heads and engine parts as well, so whenever you are ready shoot me an email!

Casey@huronspeed.com

YOUR SOURCE FOR ALL THINGS TURBO!
CASEY@HURONSPEED.COM
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
TWITTER @HURONSPEED
Old 12-09-2014, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
Nice purchase, does it have dyno numbers on the huron speed kit?
Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, no dyno numbers. The kit appears to have been installed recently with low miles / hours on it which is what the seller said. I believe him as a few things need to be buttoned up and put back together. I don't think he had time to get it on the rollers and it was his project that took a back seat to his new daily driver 5.0 Mustang.

I don't think I'll dyno it like this. Dyno time costs money, I don't want to kill the drivetrain that I have a buyer for, and I'd end up spending more money trying to get a few ponies out of its current setup because I'm goofy like that.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent. Please reach back out to me

Quick Reply: Bought my first turbo car..