Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Considering a blower over my turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Considering a blower over my turbo.

Here's my situation. I'm looking to talk about the blower stuff not really the turbo stuff here.

I have an '87 Buick GN. The V6 stuff is all gone and what in it's place is this.

4.8 L Rebuilt LS with ARP head bolts, CTSV pan, LS1 (799) heads, LS9 cam conversion and a Ported Potz TB. I am running a Holley Dominator EFI with this. Behind it is a 4L80E with a Billet 9.5 245mm TSI converter set to around 3800 stall. The car has og 3.42 gears.

I have a nice Turbonetics 7575 Midframe Turbo with a Billet wheel and 1.00 AR.

The thing is that I will be losing my storage/shop come March 28th so getting the Turbo kit put on is going to entail me trailering the car around to different people and paying a good bit of money to have it all finished.

I just put a brand new LS3 Corvette water pump and factory Crank pulley on the car with the intent to get the rest of the LS3 accessories for about $560. I started thinking that a Corvette C6 Blower kit will work with all this. I talked to a guy yesterday at A&A Corvette in CA who can sell me a bracket for a Vortech unit for around $900. I work closely with a Top Tier Vortech distributor so I believe I can get a good price on a head unit.

Now, My goal is to make around 700rw or close to it. I would like to run mid-high 9's and slow it down through the tune so it's a conservative 10.0 car. I want to keep the whole system 6 rib to avoid spending another $1100 to converter all the brand new pullies over to 8 rib.

I'm thinking Vortech V1 with the loud straight gears and a Ti trim. I already have the oil feed and return in place so it doesn't have to be self contained. Anyone have any thoughts about this reaching my goals? What kind of boost will it take? Can this set up achieve enough boost to make this happen?

Car the way it sits awaiting a power adder.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't do a blower, you already have the turbo, you just need to get cracking on it. You have a month to finish it. You could mock it all up, and have someone finish weld it. That Buick is meant to be turboed! Btw, love the car! Keep it turbo.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm a turbo man so I'd say don't stress over pulley slippage and go turbo!
Old 02-26-2015, 02:20 AM
Launching!

Wink

Blower a lot of strain on crank to imo
cheers
Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Either will do. At this point it is your personal preference. Do what you want to do to it.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was another car I would say go with whatever you like better, but I think a Buick GN should have a turbo!

Quick Reply: Considering a blower over my turbo.