does e85 make more power vs 91? same tune. also 60# vs 80# data

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does e85 make more power vs 91? same tune. also 60# vs 80# data

98 ws6 5.3 turbo t76

First question is e85 conversion.

I decided to switch to e85 last night. just after the switch.(the only thing changed on hptuner was stoich ive notice 2 things.
1. the car cuts off right away when i let off throttle.
2. it seems to pull harder or e85?

the first i dont mind or care.
but the second surprised me. i didnt expect it to pull harder(it was at night-so its not like it was on a hot day where i would expect it) it feels like it made more power. I wanted to switch so I can raise the boost to 20psi. so this was not expected at all so i dont think its a placebo effect

is it possible that the car makes more power with just a simply switch?
I know i will still need to fine tune it(lots of area of rich spots) so theres deffinitely more room.

has anyone experience this or can explain this to me.
i would think with the same tune it wouldnt make a difference.

also im currently using deka 60# injectors. the tune on the car is pretty good.
but im out of injectors and would like to switch to 80#

since everything is calibrated for 60# already. would it be possible to do the following:
1. simply multiply the flow rate by 1.33
2. keep the injector offset vs volts ,sort pulse adder, min pulsewidth since its the same brand-i figure it acts similar?

i do not have an adjustable regulator and really dont have to have to pay a few hundred for a retune /calibration.

im starting to get comfortable with tuning but calibration of the injector im just not understanding right now.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are planning on pushing 20#'s you are going to need much larger injectors. The ID1300's are a full stainless internal and are great with e85. As for the power thing, I'm not sure. E85 affords a higher ceiling for both timing and boost than 93oct could. I'd think you wouldn't notice much of a difference without adding timing and boost but who knows.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by willizm
If you are planning on pushing 20#'s you are going to need much larger injectors. The ID1300's are a full stainless internal and are great with e85. As for the power thing, I'm not sure. E85 affords a higher ceiling for both timing and boost than 93oct could. I'd think you wouldn't notice much of a difference without adding timing and boost but who knows.
thanks for the reply

ya thats what i thought to and I was not expecting it. The only thing i can think of is that my timing/tune favors the e85 more than 91.

and wow those injectors are pricey.
deka 80# are e85 compatible last I check and budget friendly.

im for sure upgrading the injector to raise the boost but was curious about the injector data. if its something I scale or do i have to find the actual data
Old 04-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Could it possibly be the greater exhaust volume of the e-85 causing the turbo to spool faster that you're feeling?
Old 04-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Thats odd, wouldn't have thought that you would have felt an improvement without any changes in the tune...
Old 04-16-2015, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stock400whp
thanks for the reply

ya thats what i thought to and I was not expecting it. The only thing i can think of is that my timing/tune favors the e85 more than 91.

and wow those injectors are pricey.
deka 80# are e85 compatible last I check and budget friendly.

im for sure upgrading the injector to raise the boost but was curious about the injector data. if its something I scale or do i have to find the actual data
If you're gong to be pushing 20lbs of boost the 80lb injectors will be at max duty cycle pretty quick. Use an online calc to figure out what would work best for you.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 66Chevellelq4
If you're gong to be pushing 20lbs of boost the 80lb injectors will be at max duty cycle pretty quick. Use an online calc to figure out what would work best for you.
80# i think is going to be the max I need.

I dont think I will even push it that far though. im only looking for around 550-600whp. I think ill get that at around 17-18?

Quick Reply: does e85 make more power vs 91? same tune. also 60# vs 80# data