Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question about turbo cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post Question about turbo cam

I have a 5.3 bored and stroked to 383. I have a gt55 91mm turbo with billet wheel. I dont know what other info you would need to answer my question. Will this comp cam 54-481-11 work with my combo?
235/231 .621/.617 115
Old 06-06-2015, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will work. Not sure how ideal it is. Cams are a very specific item. Its not like picking headers that are just going to give you more power through less restriction. Cams will decide how your car sounds, performs, and runs on boost. Many have different opinions on what they like for these variables. If you just want to see if the cam will work, it will. If you want a cam specific towards YOUR goals and needs ask a pro like cam motion, Lloyd Elliot, Lil John or you can start a thread here and you'll get many opinions.

Last edited by SpeedJunkee; 06-07-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkee
It will work. Not sure how ideal it is. Cams are a very specific item. Its not like picking headers that are just going to give you more power through less restriction. Cams will decide how your car sounds, performs, and runs on boost. Many have different opinions on what they like for these variables. If you just want to see if the can will work, it will. If you want a cam specific towards YOUR goals and needs ask a pro like cam motion, Lloyd Elliot, Lil John or you can start a thread here and you'll get many opinions.
Thanks
Old 06-06-2015, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Or could someone recommend a better one? I just need opinions and options
Old 06-06-2015, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by scoot
Or could someone recommend a better one? I just need opinions and options
Again, I could reccomend what "I" would want, but that may not be what "you" want. I like my cams big and thumpy, but generally speaking that cam on a turbo car would not drive well at all. That would be something like a 238/242 .609/.612 113+4 cam. It would sound F-ING amazing, but likely not what most would want on a turbo cam.

I guess to start, you'll need to be more specific. What do you want? One that sounds thumpy? One that makes the most power? A cam that drives really nice? One that helps the turbo spool more quickly? A cheap off the shelf cam? You won't find one cam that will do it all. You are going to need to decide your priority out of the cam and what you want most, then I can give you my recommendation. I am no professional, I don't do this for a living (although I do have experience). There are professionals I mentioned earlier that can make a better reccomendation than you'll find from random members here, but I'll be happy to give you my .02 if you give me more info.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by scoot
I have a 5.3 bored and stroked to 383. I have a gt55 91mm turbo with billet wheel. I dont know what other info you would need to answer my question. Will this comp cam 54-481-11 work with my combo?
235/231 .621/.617 115
Contact a cam professional (previously mentioned) with lots of details to get the best cam for your combo and goals. There's a lot that goes into spec'ing a cam and probably one of the biggest areas where many leave performance on the table. Not uncommon that a combo get's over cam'd.

A few parameters that will influence cam specs:
goal(s)
comp ratio
bore, stroke, rod length
cyl head details
turbo turbine size and AR
rpm range
street/strip %
not to mention running gear
etc

Maybe a pro will chime in. We can learn a lot.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:23 AM
FormerVendor

Reverse split cam in a 383 with a Gt55 is a waste of time. Especially considering those look to be on LSL lobes...

Need a lot more information to offer up anything resembling something proper like Junkee said.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LJMSJohn
Reverse split cam in a 383 with a Gt55 is a waste of time. Especially considering those look to be on LSL lobes...

Need a lot more information to offer up anything resembling something proper like Junkee said.
I emailed u the custom cam form.

Quick Reply: Question about turbo cam