Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need professional's opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need professional's opinions.

I have searched and read all the topics about Turbo chargers/super chargers and I still am not sure to which one fits MY needs. First off in the Super Charger kits do they come with EVERYTHING you need? I won't have to upgrade anything else so the full expense is the kit? I'm looking for a super charging kit that isn't too hard to install (Dad has quite abit of knowledge about cars) This is for a daily driver (50,XXX miles) I wouldn't mind it making a winding noise, or some indication I have one (Besides being a fast mathafakka) I would just like to be pushing around 500 HP and be able to slaughter these guys around here with their '03 Cobras/Saleens/Vettes (<3 vettes but I need to stomp them)
I noticed alot of you guys are very smart on these things and I will respect your opinions. So plz help ME decide on what would be best for me.

I have a 1999 Trans Am, Ram Air hood, K&N filter and stock exhaust if that helps any <3
Old 06-09-2004, 06:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Vortech kit is not easy to install. One problem I experienced was that the crank pulley spun on the crank. I would definitely recommend pinning the crank if using this kit.
Thw ATI is easier to install and has the potential to make more power (though the Vortech will meet your 500hp goal) but damn I read a lot of post about belt slippage issues. Maybe you won't have problems if you get the 8 rib kit or keep the boost down. I'm sure some ATI guys will chime in.
With either kit the big thing to watch is detonation. You'll need data logging software and will have to always keep a close eye on KR otherwise you will smoke the motor.
Can't tell you too much about the turbos but it does seem to be a more sophisticated setup which may have more mechanical and tuning issues to deal with than the supercharger kits.
Good luck and welcome to LS1Tech.com, Tom.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:57 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most complete kit is the aftercooled Vortech, they come with decent tune and will make ~400rwhp with exhaust manifolds and 425 or so with LT headers with the vortech tune that comes with it. A little tweaking on the tune will get you 20-30 more rwhp usually. Down side its a complicated install, nothing impossible though.

The ATI is an easy install, if you are looking to stay around the 475rwhp level (with headers) its a decent kit but I dont recommend buying their complete kit with their tuning. I would buy an in-tank or their inline pump (I'm using an ATI inline), 42lb injectors and take the car somewhere to get it tuned that knows these cars (usually ~500.00).

Cant tell you much about the turbos out there right now.

450-475rwhp in an f-body will easily handle most 03 cobras and C5s. Naturally if you g to run into a C5 with nitrous or a cobra with 600rwhp its going to be rough but thats how it goes

Quick Reply: Need professional's opinions.