Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Choosing turbo for L92

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing turbo for L92

Hey guys,

This summer i bought a 98 Camaro that had a L92 motor swap with a 4L80 and a 9" Moser, the car was setup with a 150 shot. I bought the car with the intentions of boosting it, and as the cold weather starts to creep in, the days are counting down till I start building the car for boost.

The motor is a stock bottom end, only mods done on the bottom end is a Moiling Oil pump and a cam. The heads are Wagner ported LS3 heads that I had completely gone through this summer after breaking a valve spring and bending a valve. I plan to keep the stroke stock, re-balance the crank, install good rods and pistons, but thats about it. Looking to make 900-1000rwhp.

My first couple issues to figure out is turbo spec, wastegate, and BOV.

Turbo: I think I want to run a S480, and Im open to input on this turbo. I really don't want a lazy turbo on this car as I do drive it allot. It seems like a T6 flange is a must, but A/R and turbine size are the things Im unsure of, so any input or real world experience is welcome.

Wastegate: I plan to run Tial gates, but I have seen many different builds where some use one large gate, and some use 2 smaller gates. What setup is better? I assume the twin gate setup is a bit better on boost control at lower boost?

BOV: kinda the same question as above, seen single and twin setups, not sure if there is a advantage or not.

Also what is the preferred hot side tubing diameter? Seems like 2.25 is common? I will be using v-banded truck manifolds.

Thanks for any input!!

Kyle
Old 10-27-2015, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can't go wrong with a S480 96/1.32 T6, 46mm gate, 2.5" hotside and a single 50mm bov. I put that same setup on a 370 and its all in by 3800/4K rpm. also on truck manifolds.

Quick Reply: Choosing turbo for L92