Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

rear mount turbo

Old 10-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear mount turbo

Has anyone used a rear mount turbo kit? What is good and/or bad about them? Not looking to make a ton of power over stock. Going in a 99 Z28 6 speed.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plenty of people have used them. they're not exactly known for making huge numbers but for what your looking for if you find a deal on one you might as well take it. problems ive heard of are things like your pipes banging the ground getting dented and such on uneven roads or speed bumps. but they do save quite a bit of space in the engine. i also hear they work better with stock manifolds vs headers. maybe someone thats actually had one on their car will chime in.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try a search. User name Zombie has an extensive thread that will answer your questions. I did one that took all of his recommendations into account. It was ok in regard to performance. The piping was not optimal and scraped on the ground. I have since changed cars and put the turbo back into the engine bay.

My best advice is to read all of the problems that accompany a rear mount. I'm hard headed and thought I had the oil issue taken care of with a Comp oil less turbo and the slow spool fixed with a spool valve. It helped, but the exact same turbo made 5 psi more boost as the front mount. This can be successful, you will have to be ready to solve issues that aren't "common" per say. You will become your own expert. Best of luck!
Old 10-29-2015, 08:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never had personal experience with one but what I've seen the main two reasons for a rear mount setup are stealth/sleeper factor and lack of physical room in the bay. While it moves everything away from the bay you have to extensively increase the range the exhaust gases have to travel. Unless you have a heat wrapped and coated exhaust the entire length of the car, your gases will cool down, inturn losing velocity.. I.E longer spool time. Along with that I'd imagine there would be a couple PSI pressure drop on the cold side as well. Again don't quote me, I haven't worked with one before.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did one on my thirdgen 305 tpi motor for fun.

It worked well. Used an on3 t70 .96 ar at the moment. Spool was good thru stock manifolds, stock cat and stock 2.25" exhaust pipe. I gutted cat and lost spool. The cat helped retain heat and smooth flow. I am gonna make a bypass pipe and wrap it all to see if i can get it back. It was making 2psi part throttle at 2200-2400 before.
Makes as much as i dial in. 7 psi gates up to 15 so far. Runs like turd still as i think it may be weak ignition. Gonna try regapped plugs and retune. But a 305 isnt strong to begin with.

I have some oil leaks thru the turbine for some reason at times but not sure if its due to steep driveway and hills i climb occassionally and oil not draining well or what. Normally driving its been fine

Do use a manifold and go small on exhaust pipe. 2.25-2.5 max. Wrap it and it will be great

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear mount turbo