Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Car has the sniffles

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Car has the sniffles

Ok guys I'm looking for suggestions .
My 98 Z28 is definitely under the weather, I need to find a shop that can sort out and diagnos why the performance is off the mark. ( by a lot)
Mods are in the sig .
I have a dyno sheet that shows it has put down 540/440 on a Mustang dyno with 6 psi of boost thru the old TH400 and now has a 4L80E in it.
I bought the car and took it to the track and ran 11.4@120 , car ran neck -n- neck with a bolt on 14 SRT8 Challenger on the highway ( friends car that dyno'd low 420's)
It just don't pull on the topend , it should be a beast up top but it just lays over.
I was told it has 2 pumps in the tank but have not verified that.
So I'm looking for a place around Grand Rapids,MI that is good with boosted LS1's. Let's hear your ideas. Thanks in advance.
David
Old 02-09-2016, 06:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Here I thought I was the only one running around in the tiny town of Lowell with a boosted LS1..lol

Do you know who tuned it?
Old 02-09-2016, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no help but it's nice to see some local guys on here!
Old 02-09-2016, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
I'm looking for a place around Grand Rapids,MI that is good with boosted LS1's. Let's hear your ideas. Thanks in advance.
David
I'm also from the Grand Rapids area. The guy to go to for dyno tuning is T.J at Baker Engineering. Give him a shout. He's a busy guy but definitely knows his way around GM systems.

http://www.bakerengineeringinc.com/
Old 02-09-2016, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
Here I thought I was the only one running around in the tiny town of Lowell with a boosted LS1..lol

Do you know who tuned it?
I know the original owner ( was my friend , but has passed away) took it down south somewhere to have it tuned. Possibly EPP?
And that's where the 540/440 numbers came from.
What are you driving around Lowell? I haven't run into too many Monsters on the streets yet . Seems like there is a good amount of Trans Am's there for sure.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS
I'm also from the Grand Rapids area. The guy to go to for dyno tuning is T.J at Baker Engineering. Give him a shout. He's a busy guy but definitely knows his way around GM systems.

I appreciate the heads up.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by L92 OLDS

T.J. is on here, and built a bad *** turbo S10 some years ago. I am not sure if he still owns it or not. It was his high school truck, and he had it for sale for a minute, but I think he kept it. By that truck, he certainly knows his way around LS's.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 for TJ as well. He tuned mine and hopefully will be tuning my new set-up this spring as well.

As far as your problem...I would first check to see if you are running out of fuel if it's laying over on the top end. Does the car have a wideband in it?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rpturbo
T.J. is on here, and built a bad *** turbo S10 some years ago. I am not sure if he still owns it or not. It was his high school truck, and he had it for sale for a minute, but I think he kept it. By that truck, he certainly knows his way around LS's.

Yeah his screename on here is hellbents10. Unfortunately his black turbo truck was sold last summer, He has a z06 now.

Have you checked for boost leaks or anything?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

Steady boost, no leaks .
I have a wide band in the box in my toolbox.
( spring project ).
Car used to lose traction at 70 on the highway. Now it just makes noise and doesn't seem to pull .
I did fuel filter, plugs, oil change just because I was under the car.
I want to have a experienced tuner work on the tune, it was originally done back in 2008 . I would like to swap the pulley ( it has a custom made pulley on it ) to put the F1A back in a efficient operating rpm .
A full weight car with 540/440 rwhp and this much suspension work should easily pull a low 10 in my opinion.
It didn't matter if I rode out 3rd gear or shifted to 4 th , 120 mph was all it would pull.
Time to look into what TJ thinks. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Car has the sniffles