Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Tick Turbo Cam (Supporting Mod Advice)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tick Turbo Cam (Supporting Mod Advice)

Hey brothers,

I've been away for some time. Career has taken off but I am getting back into the car lately.

I will be buying a Tick Stage 2 turbo cam in the next 3 days, with future intentions of throwing on a PT7675 turbo. I was talking to some people at Tick and I was wondering if some of you could clear up some questions I had about, pushrods, springs, and timing chain before I pull the trigger. I am looking for durability and reliability when it comes to these parts so just let me know which ones are best.

For the springs, I was advised to use Brian Tooley springs with steel retainers. However, I noticed there are springs with titanium or platinum retainers. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what's the difference? Which ones are best for my turbo application?

For the timing chain, I was advised to pick up the Katech C5R timing chain. Is this the best one for forced induction? I have had some folks tell me to go with the LS2.

For the pushrods, how are Tick's hardened pushrods? Are there better ones out there?

For the oil pump, ported ls6 or melling?

I'm sorry for all the questions but I want to do this the right way the first time around. I really do greatly appreciate all of your input and feedback.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 03-19-2016, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would the people that designed the cam not know what supporting parts work best?
Old 03-20-2016, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

The Katech chain is a nice piece but very expensive. I run the ls2 chain in addition to the TrickFlow chain damper kit. Less than $100.00 for all the pieces. I'm sure the pushrods that Tick has are as good as any other and probably a good idea with dual springs.

Here's were I think I may differ with some folks regarding spring retainers. I like steel retainers for a street car. I had two different engines with titanium retainers and both sets of retainers showed major wear in a relatively short period of time (springs were cutting into the retainer).
Old 03-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the key: close inspection for sharp edges on the last coils before install.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chiaj144
Would the people that designed the cam not know what supporting parts work best?
Oh I'm sure they do. But I spoke to only one person there. I would like to get a few other opinions on the matter.

Originally Posted by 69-chvl
The Katech chain is a nice piece but very expensive. I run the ls2 chain in addition to the TrickFlow chain damper kit. Less than $100.00 for all the pieces. I'm sure the pushrods that Tick has are as good as any other and probably a good idea with dual springs.

Here's were I think I may differ with some folks regarding spring retainers. I like steel retainers for a street car. I had two different engines with titanium retainers and both sets of retainers showed major wear in a relatively short period of time (springs were cutting into the retainer).
Ok thanks. So the steel retainers seem like the way to go then. Any other stress points that you can think of? I'm putting in a catch can and new oil pump as well. I can't think of anything else really.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Martin recommended that the Stage 2 was too big off for my previous LS6 and even my current LS2, with that sized turbo, I ended up with a custom grind 227/227 and I loved how it performed.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
Martin recommended that the Stage 2 was too big off for my previous LS6 and even my current LS2, with that sized turbo, I ended up with a custom grind 227/227 and I loved how it performed.
Damn really? Stage two was too big for the 7675? I will have to look into this. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Damn really? Stage two was too big for the 7675? I will have to look into this. Thanks for the heads up.
yes, The focus becomes more on the exhaust and managing backpressure with that turbine housing. I bump up to an LS2 and had him custom grind another since I loved the way the old one performed, wanted a similar characteristic. new one is only a 228/228. turbo cams is a different logic than N/A cams, let the turbo do the work, it'll make power, but let the cam manage the exhaust flow.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, The focus becomes more on the exhaust and managing backpressure with that turbine housing. I bump up to an LS2 and had him custom grind another since I loved the way the old one performed, wanted a similar characteristic. new one is only a 228/228. turbo cams is a different logic than N/A cams, let the turbo do the work, it'll make power, but let the cam manage the exhaust flow.
Well their answer was to run a bigger turbo - PT88.

Yeah I definitely understand what you're saying though.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This 100%. Great information!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

i went with his stage 3 turbo 5.3 cam and a PT88
Old 03-24-2016, 10:45 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Hey brothers,

I've been away for some time. Career has taken off but I am getting back into the car lately.

I will be buying a Tick Stage 2 turbo cam in the next 3 days, with future intentions of throwing on a PT7675 turbo. I was talking to some people at Tick and I was wondering if some of you could clear up some questions I had about, pushrods, springs, and timing chain before I pull the trigger. I am looking for durability and reliability when it comes to these parts so just let me know which ones are best.

For the springs, I was advised to use Brian Tooley springs with steel retainers. However, I noticed there are springs with titanium or platinum retainers. Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what's the difference? Which ones are best for my turbo application?

For the timing chain, I was advised to pick up the Katech C5R timing chain. Is this the best one for forced induction? I have had some folks tell me to go with the LS2.

For the pushrods, how are Tick's hardened pushrods? Are there better ones out there?

For the oil pump, ported ls6 or melling?

I'm sorry for all the questions but I want to do this the right way the first time around. I really do greatly appreciate all of your input and feedback.

Building a turbo set up is like cooking. Don't use 10 different cooks recipes and expect the dish to turn out good. Find one company that turns out a consistently good combo and listen to them for your entire build. Don't do a mismatched combo!!! Many companies can get to a good end result but the combos are much different. Don't try to recreate the wheel.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
This 100%. Great information!
Originally Posted by Fat Jesus 808
i went with his stage 3 turbo 5.3 cam and a PT88
Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Building a turbo set up is like cooking. Don't use 10 different cooks recipes and expect the dish to turn out good. Find one company that turns out a consistently good combo and listen to them for your entire build. Don't do a mismatched combo!!! Many companies can get to a good end result but the combos are much different. Don't try to recreate the wheel.
Thanks for all the great feedback gentlemen. Tick said if I go with the stage 2, then I should go with a PT88 turbo. I am planning on forging the motor in the future to get into those double digit boost #'s. I went with the Stage 2 cam so I'll let them build around that if things need to be changed. Thanks again ya'll.

Quick Reply: Tick Turbo Cam (Supporting Mod Advice)