Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help needed for a beginner wanting to go turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help needed for a beginner wanting to go turbo

Alright guys so I have a heads and cam camaro that has spun a bearing. Figure if it's coming apart might as well make more power and go turbo. I know that there are considerably more supporting mods that will be needed. I am thinking I would do a SBE 5.3 with arp everything and a suggested turbo by this group. The goal with the car will be to have a very fun and fast street car. It will see the track several times a year but for fun not competition. It will have a built 4l60 behind it with a 12bolt. But as we all know it's never enough for very long. I need to know what 5.3 engines I can buy without tons of modification and or adapters to make the factory wiring harness work. I know gen 4 motors are stronger but don't know if sensor locations and wiring will remain the same. Also I need to know what size turbo to run. I would like to make 650 RWHP with the option to turn it up as well. But again this will have a 4l60 without a trans brake so maybe my goal is unrealistic. Just need some advise from the experts. Thanks ahead of time
Old 03-26-2016, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

If you can find a 05 and I think 06 5.3, those should work. I believe those are 24x and should be plug and play with the better rods. As far as ARP goes, the only ARP bolts I use are the head bolts and a crank bolt. No sense in messing with rod bolts IMO. Then your possibly changing clearances, and really need to resize stuff to be sure, and as Denmah just showed, even the Gen IV rods bust before the bolts let loose.

Quick Reply: Help needed for a beginner wanting to go turbo