Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1998 Trans am turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Trans am turbo build

Hello guys I want to say that I've been really searching and looking for info but I'd thought I would start a thread on knowing the proper way to turbo a ls motor... I've seen 5.3 is pretty much the block to use but I would like to know few things before I start the build what's a good turbo and kit to grab? I'm looking for a good moderate build something that will net me 550 maybe 600whp with tuning.. I have a a4 transmission what are some good parts to upgrade as well this will be a weekend drag fun car no daily driving whatsoever I'll be redoing the suspension too but I just want to know some key things... thanks again for anyone to add insight
Old 04-08-2016, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Contact Huron Speed for your entire turbo kit. For 550-600whp it won't take a huge build. A smallish tc76 should easily make that and not cost a ton or take much to package.

For the trans if you don't care at all about street mileage just go th400 right off the bat.

Your car is a 98 so it'll be in your best interest to do the 99+ harness and ecu swap at the same time as well.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a pretty vague opening. If you just want a track turbo car, what are your other goals? What is your budget?

Many have done the 5.3 with a turbo. Its not because its the "best". Its because its a good cheap option. If this is what you are after, then great, but its not the best in all cases. Most who do the 5.3 install new bearings as a minimum. If its a track car, I would reccomend race gas or E85. A good fuel will keep things safe.

A 67mm turbo would achieve your goals for power. There are plenty of turbo options out there. Depends on your budget and preferences. Borg Warner turbos are reliable and well priced. But they take up a lot of room. Precision turbos are used a lot also and are more expensive but have smaller turbo housings.

I'm not an auto guy so I don't have any good advice for your tranny. But a well built auto is the best for the track.

These are some basics. Keep doing your research. There is a plethera of good info in the sticky section of this forum alone, and much more here also if you are willing to read. Keep in mind that even building this on a budget can still get very expensive. A few things that will save you a bit would be going with the 5.3, going with the truck manifolds for part of the turbo kit, and finding a good deal on a cheap turbo.

Quick Reply: 1998 Trans am turbo build