Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pre compressor nozzles on twin setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 05:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre compressor nozzles on twin setup?

Gentlemen,

Looking at the logs of my last track outing, I'm seeing a 80 degree temp rise from the entire run (measured pre meth nozzle)

Right now my car has a single 1000cc nozzle right before the throttle body. Car uses a cheap/small cx racing twin turbo intercooler.

Knowing how methanol feels on your skin, I have been thinking of moving the meth to 2 smaller pre compressor nozzles so the water meth mixture will go through the cooler.

I'm wondering if that will help me at all.

Also concerned about spool and I've read that pre compressor nozzles will slow spool, so any thoughts on moving the nozzles between the compressor outlets and intercooler inlets?

Tia
Old 04-29-2016, 07:24 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

It will not hurt spool...and whether moving will make things cooler or not, harder to say.

And if you're measuring temperatures before the spray, you're probably worrying over nothing. Obviously this reading cannot be anywhere near close to reality as it doesnt take into account what the spray is doing. But the spray will be cooling things both in the intake and more importantly doing it's work in the chamber.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
It will not hurt spool...and whether moving will make things cooler or not, harder to say.

And if you're measuring temperatures before the spray, you're probably worrying over nothing. Obviously this reading cannot be anywhere near close to reality as it doesnt take into account what the spray is doing. But the spray will be cooling things both in the intake and more importantly doing it's work in the chamber.
Good to know on the spool.

So the other edge to that sword is that if my sensor is post meth, would that be an accurate representation of the actual air temp if the sensor is being sprayed?

I guess my concern is that the cooler isn't really doing a good job with that much of a temp rise, and it's getting warmer around here every day
Old 04-29-2016, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My thinking would be that the further you move the meth nozzle away from the TB, the more time you are allowing for the water to absorb the heat. IAT placement typically leads to a huge argument.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 677 Likes on 500 Posts

1000cc at what pressure? 50/50 mix?

If you go moderate with the nozzle sizing pre-turbo it’s fine. That way you can assume most of the water/meth will flash in the turbo before it made it to the IC inlet. If you ran a decent amount pre-turbo though it will likely not be 100% vaporized and puddle in your IC. This wouldn’t help much performance wise and likely corrode the bottom of the IC pretty bad. Also a fire hazard with high percentages of methanol.

I'm only running washer fluid these days and spray 2gph nozzle pre-turbo, and 7gph nozzle at the TB. That’s at 300psi though, so more like 3.4gph pre-turbo and 12gph at the TB.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
1000cc at what pressure? 50/50 mix?

If you go moderate with the nozzle sizing pre-turbo it’s fine. That way you can assume most of the water/meth will flash in the turbo before it made it to the IC inlet. If you ran a decent amount pre-turbo though it will likely not be 100% vaporized and puddle in your IC. This wouldn’t help much performance wise and likely corrode the bottom of the IC pretty bad. Also a fire hazard with high percentages of methanol.

I'm only running washer fluid these days and spray 2gph nozzle pre-turbo, and 7gph nozzle at the TB. That’s at 300psi though, so more like 3.4gph pre-turbo and 12gph at the TB.
How do you have your nozzle mounted pre turbo?

Quick Reply: Pre compressor nozzles on twin setup?