Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What power and boost on mostly stock LS1 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What power and boost on mostly stock LS1 engine?

Hi everyone! I have a '66 BelAir that I will be completely redoing next year and its biggest change will be going from a bone stock 307 to an LS based 5.3 truck engine that will be fed by a single cheap GT45 turbo and intercooler fed by original truck manifolds. I'm shooting for 600hp and would like to hear any suggestions on upgrades/boost pressure to get to that goal reliably (2+ years of use). Currently undecided on Iron vs. Aluminum block but likely it would be an iron block.

Current mod plans are the usual FelPro MLS head gaskets, ARP headbolts (possibly studs but not sure yet), basic head porting, Holley HP ecu, 60lb injectors, taking suggestions on fuel pump (currently have original tank with the external mechanical pump remember), the low profile oil pan and engine mounts for the conversion, and also taking suggestions on cam and springs. All else would be stock unless anyone thinks I should swap anything else.

This will be a budget build, so please no crazy suggestions. I know it would be best to put new rods, pistons, rings, heads, etc but that's not what I'm going for or even have the cash for anyway. Thanks!

-Sidenote- Anyone know if the original 2speed PowerGlide trans would hold up to that power? I don't care about ratios or anything since it'll just be a tire smoking semi-daily driver that goes to shows on the weekend. No racing. I'm just curious if I can run the original trans or if it would blow instantly when i hit the gas.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

600hp on a stock iron 5.3 is very doable. several people have done it and much more on stock bottom ends. as for 2 year life span, that doesn't seem out of reach. just find a good tuner. id grab some 243s or 317 heads if your doing basic porting. cam, id go with a tick turbo stage 1 or even a ls6 cam should work, BTR dual springs. and i think somewhere in the 12lbs of boost range should sit you at 600hp. thats my 2 cents. im pretty new to this FI game though.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great! Thanks for the input! I think I'm sold on the Tick Stage 1 and BTR springs. The heads I'll have to think about but they would be nice. I'm very new to FI also, but I figure I can't learn much unless I just get into it first hand right? Haha
Old 05-08-2016, 08:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Powerglide needs some modification to it but not really expensive. High gear clutch will have to be changed and other things that dont cost much as added insurance.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

For 600hp there's no reason to go nuts with pretty much anything. Iron 5.3, very mild cam, budget turbo and ebay intercooler.

The on3 turbo 78/75 seems nice, although I would spring for a good turbo/wastegate. You may even consider using the stock cam, but a new LS6 cam is only ~280.00 and will make a lot of power up top w/o the need for $$ springs. Get a set of pac 1218's and you can reuse all the factory retainers, seals, keepers etc.

In my case, the best running combo for the $$$ spent was a iron 5.3 with 120k miles, ls6 cam/ls6 springs (admittedly the springs may be a little soft for the application, but I ran the fastest mph with them installed LOL), 450.00 Trans Spec converter, s475 t4 turbo. I think the same can be accomplished with a much cheaper turbo.

Quick Reply: What power and boost on mostly stock LS1 engine?