Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

dyno issue...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not saying this is your issue, but I put a set of plugs in mine gapped a little tight, and it killed the power on the dyno. Changed nothing but the plugs back to a bigger gap, and power came right back.

Whats your new plug gapped at?
Old 06-28-2016, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

I'd be asking why the fluid was dark in that amount of time as well. There has to be something causing the excessive heat required to darken the fluid, assuming there was no clutch material in the pan.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fat Jesus 808
Not saying this is your issue, but I put a set of plugs in mine gapped a little tight, and it killed the power on the dyno. Changed nothing but the plugs back to a bigger gap, and power came right back.

Whats your new plug gapped at?
plugs were gapped a .020 first then through a new set in at .025 and it did the exact same thing.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bad Apache
I'd be asking why the fluid was dark in that amount of time as well. There has to be something causing the excessive heat required to darken the fluid, assuming there was no clutch material in the pan.

no clutch material in the pan. said the trans looks good. redyno tested it and now cutting open the converter this week.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hypforlife32
Whats average pricing for something like that? Also it was a brand new converter when it went in. Sucks.
It cost me 185 including parts (a sprag and bushing) for champ converters to rebuild mine that converter wasn't there's originally (tci).

They also built us a converter for my sisters 1500 hp dragster never had an issue. I use them because there local and family owned shop. When I brought my most recent converter to them I told them I literally picked it up out of a guy's yard and wanted to know if it was worth spending money on. They cut it open with me standing there and told me what it should stall with my combo.

You might want to call around and see if there are better options than who your dealing with.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Were you able to data log all the events-if not a driveline problem, it would have to be something engine related-maybe a comp test, leak down, etc
Were the AFR's the same, etc-i would thing with E85 you could run more timing-on my 403 I ran 22 degs @ 12 lbs on 93 octane, and it was happy
Strange to see such a drop off in power, unless something fatal happened.
Have you cut open the oil filter just to take a look.
Be interesting to see the outcome
Old 06-29-2016, 07:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by forcd ind
Were you able to data log all the events-if not a driveline problem, it would have to be something engine related-maybe a comp test, leak down, etc
Were the AFR's the same, etc-i would thing with E85 you could run more timing-on my 403 I ran 22 degs @ 12 lbs on 93 octane, and it was happy
Strange to see such a drop off in power, unless something fatal happened.
Have you cut open the oil filter just to take a look.
Be interesting to see the outcome
So far I have done a cold compression test. 165-170 all cylinders. Leak down was 20 percent or less cold. Since the incident about a month ago. I drove the car over an hour each way. I DID NOT open the oil filter but did change the oil. Dumb axx on my part but oil was clean. No glitter look at all to it. No chucks etc. usually it'll end up in the filter.

Just strange. The entire setup is brand new. Motor. Trans converter. Turbo kit and everything
Old 06-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 6669camaro
If not the converter, make sure you don't have a restriction in the exhaust, like a collapsed section of flex pipe.
You sir are the winner! Scoped through the wastegate hole and damned if it was muchroomed. With maybe a 1 inch hole showing.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

That's awesome! Glad you found it.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Launching!

What do you guys recommend to replace it with.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

there are good flex sections but the bellows style from vibrant is pretty robust

If you click the pic in my sig, you can scroll through my pics and find the ones i use for my wastegate redirc pipes
Old 06-29-2016, 03:19 PM
Launching!

I got most of my stuff from mandrel-bends.com. they seem to have a good selection and a some pretty nice stuff
Old 06-29-2016, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

hard pipe it?
Old 06-29-2016, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dburt86
there are good flex sections but the bellows style from vibrant is pretty robust

If you click the pic in my sig, you can scroll through my pics and find the ones i use for my wastegate redirc pipes
I was looking at those and also i see vibrant makes a turbo flex joint. It has interlocking inside vs an inner webbing like mine had. I am thinking about just getting it removed and running a solid piece pipe instead so i don't have this issue at all
Old 06-29-2016, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fat Jesus 808
hard pipe it?
Kind of what I'm leaning towards. If you do it right it won't have any issues. only heat expansion issues. The whole kit is 304 stainless at the moment. The idea of tossing the flex pipe all together is sounding good because i see some flex pipes coming apart and destroying turbos.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hypforlife32
Kind of what I'm leaning towards. If you do it right it won't have any issues. only heat expansion issues. The whole kit is 304 stainless at the moment. The idea of tossing the flex pipe all together is sounding good because i see some flex pipes coming apart and destroying turbos.

You're seeing the low quality ones failing. A high quality/well designed flex pipe is very useful for these turbo system to allow needed room for movement and expansion. I, for one, would recommend using one to avoid unnecessary damage to the rest of your hotside.

Quick Reply: dyno issue...