Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Safe clearances from the hotside

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Safe clearances from the hotside

I have just recently gotten this thing running and WOW, are the under hood temps high. I have wrapped the crossover and have a blanket, but still. I guess I will wrap the downpipe and maybe the manifolds too. My question. Is the pipe routing is tight and how close is too close? I worried about my fan motor, wiring, belt, etc...

Old 08-26-2016, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Make a very small tin shield to go between your fan motor and the crossover. Use a couple of the motor screws to hold it in place and make it so it splits the difference between the two. As far as the belt goes, hard to tell how close it really is. Wrap the downpipe too. It'll help.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

following on that idea above, take a couple strips of your titanium wrap and wrap 2 individual spots splitting the motor of the fan, so its in between the extra wraps. Get some semi thin aluminum or stainless sheet in a rectangle shape, form it to the same rough radius as your crossover. Punch 4 holes in the rectangular sheet 2 at each end about 2" apart, then use 2 stainless tie wraps that you use to secure your titanium wrap to the crossover and run them through the holes and secure the sheet to the crossover. The spaced out wraps will create an air void between the crossover and the thin sheet metal.

Or just wrap that area a couple more times.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice idea about the heat shield for the fan, thanks. I will definitely add that soon.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 236 Likes on 165 Posts

You are prob fine, that wrap really keeps the heat down-I over lap it more in the critical areas.
My fuel return line goes over top of my 4" down pipe by a few inches, so bet the wrap and insulation on the fuel line it seems to be fine

Quick Reply: Safe clearances from the hotside