Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Mechanical Boost Controller Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mechanical Boost Controller Setup

I want to make sure I've got the idea of a mechanical boost controller and my wastegate setup before I get going. Sorry about the quality of my illustration.

My TurboSmart wastegate has ports above and below the diaphragm, and I'm using a mechanical boost controller from NX. Say I have a 10# spring in the wastegate, and I'd like to adjust the boost. If I want to go below 10# boost, I would run the boost controller below the diaphragm so that pressure helped the wastegate open early, correct? So that all the way open on the boost controller, my boost would be 10#-Intake boost pressure.

However, if I want to increase boost, I would add the boost controller above the diaphragm so that at all the way on on the controller, I would see 10# + intake boost.

Sound accurate?
Old 10-11-2016, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If the controller only has an 'In' and an 'Out', then you need to connect the 'Out' to the bottom port of the wastegate. As shown in your illustration, the wastegate would not open.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

The illustration is supposed to show an either/or at the wastegate. Are you saying that the boost controller can only subtract boost from the spring on the bottom port, and couldn't add boost to the top port if I wanted more boost than my spring could provide?
Old 10-11-2016, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Like this you could

Old 10-11-2016, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

My solenoid is only a 2 port, in and out. So either I look for a different controller, or run at spring or less boost?
Old 10-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

You run it to the bottom of the gate.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rworcester
I want to make sure I've got the idea of a mechanical boost controller and my wastegate setup before I get going. Sorry about the quality of my illustration.

My TurboSmart wastegate has ports above and below the diaphragm, and I'm using a mechanical boost controller from NX. Say I have a 10# spring in the wastegate, and I'd like to adjust the boost. If I want to go below 10# boost, I would run the boost controller below the diaphragm so that pressure helped the wastegate open early, correct? So that all the way open on the boost controller, my boost would be 10#-Intake boost pressure.

However, if I want to increase boost, I would add the boost controller above the diaphragm so that at all the way on on the controller, I would see 10# + intake boost.

Sound accurate?
Not sure what kind of mechanical controller you are talking about but if it's a simple two port one all they do is bleed off some air. They will not go lower than wastegate pressure only higher. I've only had two different types but the both went from the source to the bottom of the controller, from the side port to the wastegate bottom port not the top.

Quick Reply: Mechanical Boost Controller Setup