Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS1 w/ twins upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 w/ twins upgrade advice

Just bought a buggy with a Turn Key LS1 w twin T3/T4 garrets and Turbonetics BOV and wastegates. Rail has a manual trans.
The off season is coming and I want to go through the engine for a refresh and to get some more power. What I think I know:
LS1- stock crank, H-beam rods, JE pistons (unknown dome/dish size)
Stock 706 heads
Stock cam
Unknown size injectors
ARP head studs
That's about all I know of this combo. Now the question, what do I do with it? I want to stay on pump gas and I'm not adverse to changing heads if it is worth it verses just porting the 706's. Obviously I am looking to a new cam. I keep hearing the name BTR for LS engines, good?

As this is a buggy engine I am looking for the whole RPM range and limited lag as being on/off the gas (not in boost) while duning is common.

I don't need 1000hp, just a reliable, solid pump gas combo that is more than just max HP at high RPM. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:21 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

706s are small chamber 4.8/5.3 heads. They increase compression. Any chance you have a 4.8 or 5.3 and not an LS1? Iron block would give it away.

Best bang for the buck will be cam, depending on size of current turbos.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Or they could be 806 heads.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jtc1369
Just bought a buggy with a Turn Key LS1 w twin T3/T4 garrets and Turbonetics BOV and wastegates. Rail has a manual trans.
The off season is coming and I want to go through the engine for a refresh and to get some more power. What I think I know:
LS1- stock crank, H-beam rods, JE pistons (unknown dome/dish size)
Stock 706 heads
Stock cam
Unknown size injectors
ARP head studs
That's about all I know of this combo. Now the question, what do I do with it? I want to stay on pump gas and I'm not adverse to changing heads if it is worth it verses just porting the 706's. Obviously I am looking to a new cam. I keep hearing the name BTR for LS engines, good?

As this is a buggy engine I am looking for the whole RPM range and limited lag as being on/off the gas (not in boost) while duning is common.

I don't need 1000hp, just a reliable, solid pump gas combo that is more than just max HP at high RPM. Thanks for the help.

jtc1369,

I would LOVE to help you meet your goal with your rail. The heads and cam are definitely going to need some love to meet your goal. Good news is it may not cost near what you think for the parts. PM Sent!

-Russ
Old 02-28-2017, 02:42 PM
Teching In

They are 706 heads and it is an iron block. I hate that I don't know more about it, but I will at the end of the season when I tear it apart. Just trying to get some ideas on parts before I start the tear down.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jtc1369
They are 706 heads and it is "NOT" an iron block. I hate that I don't know more about it, but I will at the end of the season when I tear it apart. Just trying to get some ideas on parts before I start the tear down.
Sorry, is NOT an iron block.

Quick Reply: LS1 w/ twins upgrade advice