Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Opinions on first turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on first turbo build

Well to start off I bought a 1999 Camaro (A4) last year with 54k. I did a few basic mods such as a
LS6 manifold
1 7/8 headers
exhaust
Fit 3800 stall
4.10 gears
799 heads polished / slight port ( original owner had them on)
Car dynoed in at 335 hp / 356tq
The best times I ran were a 12.02 1/4th and 7.62 1/8th.
I run the car on 28" tall tires with the 4.10 gears which I know will be a bad pairing for a turbo set up.

This spring I planned on doing a decent size cam MS4, BTR 4... with a decent shot of nitrous 175-200 but then I was thinking with all the money I'll spend witching the cam then buying a kit with all safety stuff I'll end up spending a good chunk of change . This car is being built for racing and a weekend warrior occasionally . So I began thinking of scrapping that idea with how many guys in my area are going turbo or already turbo after they have been down the nitrous road before.

My next idea / paln is ordering a V1 Huron speed truck manifold turbo kit with a on3 78mm turbo , and using the xs 50mm bov and 44wg they offer in the kit. The fuel system I would go 60-80 injectors and since the 255 racetronix kit is probably a little too small maybe a 340 or 450? I'm trying to do a budget build seeing I have a few weaks spots but I wouldn't mind 550-650 hp and keep reducing weight in my car. I think it's close to 3200 maybe even less.

I'm posting this to get some ideas where to start and if this would be a decent combo for my first build .
Old 03-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Kinda sounds like you already have a decent plan laid out.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Kinda sounds like you already have a decent plan laid out.
It's my first time going with a turbo set up but looking for opinions on where I could save money and guidance on the right set up or for just a starting set up would this work? I plan on running in 1/8th mile no prep races at my local track . I know most of the cars in the class run mid 6s to high 5s.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Can't go wrong with the proven V1 truck manifold kit, has been proven with a great track record over many years. Let me know if you have any questions and when you are ready to order I would be more than happy to help out
Also, we have our new Billet 7875 turbos available very soon, would be a great combo and be able to get everything in one place, all backed by our Huron Speed customer support and fully warranty

Jon

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed

Last edited by Superman09; 03-30-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Superman09
Can't go wrong with the proven V1 truck manifold kit, has been proven with a great track record over many years. Let me know if you have any questions and when you are ready to order I would be more than happy to help out
Also, we have our new Billet 7875 turbos available very soon, would be a great combo and be able to get everything in one place, all backed by our Huron Speed customer support and fully warranty

Jon
This is why I planned on going with you guys. So far I'm more concerned with how much my set up would be seeing the car was going be geared towards running nitrous but after a month or two debate I rather build a kit and have the power all the time versus filling bottles every other week.

Quick Reply: Opinions on first turbo build