Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!

Here's some pics of my Procharger twin intercoolers before and after being repaired. Had been experiencing low boost for a while and always thought it was belt slip or BOV issues. After much troubleshooting I finally decided to pressure test the intake system.

Made a pressure regulator gauge rig to go between the air compressor and the intake system. Plugged up the outlet coupling from the supercharger and put an air fitting on the intake to the motor. Also put a fitting to the Big Red blow-off valve so it can stay shut under simulated boost.

Set the pressure regulator to 20 psi and open the valve and heard A LOT of air moving. Turns out both my intercoolers had cracked welds on the inlet side. System couldn't hold more that 10 psi.

Who knows how long this has been going on!
Attached Thumbnails Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!-img_1935.jpg   Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!-img_1937.jpg   Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!-img_1939.jpg   Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!-img_1940.jpg  
Old 04-19-2017, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

that sucks .at least its fixed .
Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

With cracks that big, surely you heard them ? It's bound to have been making some noise !
Old 04-22-2017, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
With cracks that big, surely you heard them ? It's bound to have been making some noise !
eh if the car is loud thats iffy
Old 04-23-2017, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Seems like it would, but it's hard to tell because the big red open blow off valve is super loud at idle and dumps air everywhere. Cracks were located in front of twin intercoolers that tucks up into front bumper cover.

Haven't put the car back together yet, but I'm sure it will be nice to have the power back!

Last edited by white01ss; 04-24-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

Some pictures of the pressure test tools...

Had a hard time finding a 3" to 3 1/8" plug for the rubber coupling that attaches to the D1SC outlet so I had to use a $2 plastic cup they sold at the local hardware store. I thought it would get destroyed, but it held very well and then found its way into the family cup rotation!

While pressure testing the welded up intercoolers the next leak that presented itself was the oval'ed inlet to the Y pipe that feeds the front intercoolers. No matter how tight that t-clamp was it just wouldn't seal. Why would procharger put an oval'd pipe in a pressurized system?

It wasn't a showstopper kind of leak and the system held 20 psi fairly well. It's incredible how hard all the rubber hoses got under 20 psi.

Next comes the driving test.
Attached Thumbnails Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!-img_1944.jpg   Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!-img_1945.jpg   Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!-img_1946.jpg   Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!-img_1952.jpg   Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!-img_1947.jpg  

Old 04-25-2017, 09:17 AM
9 Second Club

Nice use of DIY bits and pieces, and the cup !

1 man...1 cup lol
Old 04-25-2017, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked to see if Big Red is functioning properly ? As in the bypass valve isn't opening enough to break pressure and caused the cooler to crack.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by conan
Have you checked to see if Big Red is functioning properly ? As in the bypass valve isn't opening enough to break pressure and caused the cooler to crack.
That's not possible.
The bypass not working doesn't make any difference.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
That's not possible.
The bypass not working doesn't make any difference.
Not following you on this ???

If I pull the vacuum hose off my bypass the valve closes and stays that way until vacuum is reapplied. So the bypass not working would make a big difference in letting off the pressure in the system when the throttle blade closes ???
Old 04-25-2017, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Same as running a turbo car without a bov. The pressure isn't enough to blow up the intercooler. I guess I can't say it's not possible but your intercooler would have to be the biggest piece of **** for that to happen. I think this is just a case of a bad weld that got fatigued and blew out under boost.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:50 PM
9 Second Club

A turbo car without a BOV is nothing remotely like a blower car. When you lift the throttle, the blower is still pumping shitloads of air and that air must go somewhere or it risks damaging things, usually the blower.

The intercooler maybe just broke from poor welding
Old 04-25-2017, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's exactly what happened. The weld cracked, not the base metal. Poor penetration, the welder focused on a pretty lil weld, not a quality one. Im not expert, just a guy who has been TIG welding for 19yrs.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:14 PM
9 Second Club

Should see some of my welds !!! I'm amazed the hold anything, and they ain't pretty lol
Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The weld quality looks like it's there. It comes down to choice of filler material and plate thickness. Pressure is trying to make that tank round under boost, and more so if the bov isn't working well. The weld just work hardened is all. On most tanks I do, I'll tack them all up on the tank and in the car, and then pull the tanks off and do some welding on the inside to help prevent this
Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Nice use of DIY bits and pieces, and the cup !
Thanks!

Originally Posted by conan
Pretty sure the Big Red is doing it's job. I can hear the pressure release when I let off and it blows out a ton of air at idle. Would be cool to rig up a camera to record it working while driving.

Back in 2008 when the kit was first put on I got the car back and it didn't feel much faster at all. With no boost gauge I had no idea what was wrong. Took it back to the shop and it turned out the vacuum line they spliced the BOV into had a check valve on it so the BOV stayed open all the time. That was back when I didn't know squat about superchargers.

My guess would be a combination of weld quality and fatigue over 8 years of use. That aluminum plate is pretty darn thin too so there isn't much to weld together.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nathaninwa
On most tanks I do, I'll tack them all up on the tank and in the car, and then pull the tanks off and do some welding on the inside to help prevent this
That's a damn good idea. Procharger didn't do any welds on the inside of these tanks, I checked.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm glad to see you got the problem figured out! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-27-2017, 02:31 PM
11 Second Club

Default Driving update

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I'm glad to see you got the problem figured out! Bob
Thanks Bob!

Little driving and update. Pictures below show data log before and after fixing the intercoolers. The pulley combo is 8.65/3.85 so the blower is spinning around 62k at 6800 RPM. This is with an air filter as well.

The car was making 10.9 psi with the leaking intercoolers and 16.7 psi after being fixed. Gained back almost 6 psi ! 16.7 is the most I've ever seen with this combo. Needless to say, the car feels so much better now.
Attached Thumbnails Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!-wot-cracked-twins.png   Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!-wot-fixed-twins.png  
Old 04-27-2017, 02:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by white01ss
Thanks Bob!

Little driving and update. Pictures below show data log before and after fixing the intercoolers. The pulley combo is 8.65/3.85 so the blower is spinning around 62k at 6800 RPM. This is with an air filter as well.

The car was making 10.9 psi with the leaking intercoolers and 16.7 psi after being fixed. Gained back almost 6 psi ! 16.7 is the most I've ever seen with this combo. Needless to say, the car feels so much better now.
That's good to see!! I'll bet it does feel much better! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Procharger twin intercoolers - CRACKED!