Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

C16 or Meth Injection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 571 Likes on 446 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by neverstop
I don't know why you would ever turn the meth off or take it off if you have it, even a single M15 probably drops IATs by like 20* at least
At this point my IAT's rarely get more than 10-20 degrees over ambient so my A2A I/C seems to be working fine.
This would be purely to run more boost, how do you know which nozzle or nozzles to use though?
Old 08-16-2017, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Humidity will effect the cooling effects, but while spraying meth I stay about 10*under ambient in very humid south florida...if dry i'll see it cool up to 25-30* under.
Few manufacturers recommend using over 50/50 water/meth, just FYI. Good place to start is 1-1.5cc per hp on 50/50mix.... 1.5-2cc per hp on 100%meth. Nozzles are usually sized by mm snow alky aquamist all have flow charts. You'll need multiple 1.0mm+ jets they'll flow 650cc+each depending on pump pressure
Old 08-16-2017, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Bingo. Spray before the IAT sensor. My IATs have never been over 100 degrees with water/meth on. I have it pull 8 degrees of timing if IATs are over 100 and above 100 kpa. It falls on its face if the meth shuts off or runs out.
How much meth are u spraying? I'm running 50/50 with #6 nozzle (500ml I think) on my whipple 2.9 and it doesn't seem to affect my IATS much . Car usually runs *25-* 30 over ambient. Wondering if I'm spraying enough. Edit actually it's a 625 ml nozzle.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 531 Likes on 375 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by jimmyg
How much meth are u spraying? I'm running 50/50 with #6 nozzle (500ml I think) on my whipple 2.9 and it doesn't seem to affect my IATS much . Car usually runs *25-* 30 over ambient. Wondering if I'm spraying enough. Edit actually it's a 625 ml nozzle.
You may need to elaborate on IAT vs injector placement, as well as specifics of your intercooled (or not) setup. I have seen many people complain of what are likely erroneous IAT readings on PD blower installs. Especially in the case of a small A/W core in a PD blower intake made of aluminum, you are likely to get IAT readings which are heavily skewed toward coolant temps instead of changing quickly with actual IAT changes.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ly6/whipple2.9. IAT is in back of blower case , after intercooler. Meth nozzle is 4-5 in before throttlebody. Afco pro heat x w/dual fans designed for gt500, Bosch pump, 2 gal res .running 70% water 30% anti freeze w/redline water wetter. 13-14 lbs boost. 50/50 meth 625ml nozzle. Progressive controller starts@7lbs
Old 08-17-2017, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 571 Likes on 446 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by randeez
Humidity will effect the cooling effects, but while spraying meth I stay about 10*under ambient in very humid south florida...if dry i'll see it cool up to 25-30* under.
Few manufacturers recommend using over 50/50 water/meth, just FYI. Good place to start is 1-1.5cc per hp on 50/50mix.... 1.5-2cc per hp on 100%meth. Nozzles are usually sized by mm snow alky aquamist all have flow charts. You'll need multiple 1.0mm+ jets they'll flow 650cc+each depending on pump pressure
So with that in mind and shooting for 800 rwhp I'd need at the minimum of two of the 1.0mm jets.
Is there power to be had just adding a meth kit without changing the tune?
I'm wondering if I shouldn't put a kit on before the change and play with it a little.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by jimmyg
Ly6/whipple2.9. IAT is in back of blower case , after intercooler. Meth nozzle is 4-5 in before throttlebody. Afco pro heat x w/dual fans designed for gt500, Bosch pump, 2 gal res .running 70% water 30% anti freeze w/redline water wetter. 13-14 lbs boost. 50/50 meth 625ml nozzle. Progressive controller starts@7lbs
While that is certainly a good arrangement, the IAT will never see much of the cooling effect of the meth. The intercooler will dampen the effect too much before you ever get to the IAT. One of the big advantages to using meth with an A/A IC is that you can spray after the intercooler. This can actually give you temps below ambient. Unfortunately, this is usually impossible with most PD blower setups.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
While that is certainly a good arrangement, the IAT will never see much of the cooling effect of the meth. The intercooler will dampen the effect too much before you ever get to the IAT. One of the big advantages to using meth with an A/A IC is that you can spray after the intercooler. This can actually give you temps below ambient. Unfortunately, this is usually impossible with most PD blower setups.

I just love asking people random questions SO let's say someone is running an LSA blower and purchases just the piece that goes in between the lid and blower from nitrous expresses nitrous kit but rather than nitrous injects meth through that plate system. So it injects after the air comes through the lid. Would that have the same effect as if you were to spray after the intercooler in a turbo kit?
Old 08-17-2017, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't notice much of a difference on short highway pulls but, I noticed a 10* drop at the end of a 1/4 mile run. Which is crazy considering the heat produced during the run.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meth artificially lowers IAT by a significant amount. With a fast acting sensor, you can have timing immediately pulled if the meth quits spraying. This isn't 100% foolproof, but is usually effective enough to save a motor. There are many more complicated ways of reducing risk, but they tend to require more effort.
You can also add fuel if the IATs go up.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:56 AM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by The ******
So with that in mind and shooting for 800 rwhp I'd need at the minimum of two of the 1.0mm jets.
Is there power to be had just adding a meth kit without changing the tune?
I'm wondering if I shouldn't put a kit on before the change and play with it a little.
without tuning you may feel a little gain but it will be minimal, along the same line as running 100octane on the same tune. you'll notice more the resistance to detonation, car won't heat soak during back to back runs, but with colder iats. yea you can throw it on before and get a feel for it...water/meth mixes, jet sizing, reliability, and predictability of the controller when it will start spraying
Old 08-18-2017, 08:18 AM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

x2 this, also spraying before the compressor changes it's characteristics and raises efficiency. only way for him to see that the meth injection is doing anything would be to turn it off and take look at the IATs, i suspect he wouldnt see peak (14psi?) either
Old 08-18-2017, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by randeez
x2 this, also spraying before the compressor changes it's characteristics and raises efficiency. only way for him to see that the meth injection is doing anything would be to turn it off and take look at the IATs, i suspect he wouldnt see peak (14psi?) either
I have seen setups with a turbo where meth or water mix was sprayed pre turbo to increase compressor efficiency and post intercooler to drop temps more. I have yet to see enough data to quantify what conditions would make this worth the effort. Then again, I haven't really tried looking for it.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for 800hp I would not recommend more than a single M15 meth tip or you can get fuel distribution issues.

Quick Reply: C16 or Meth Injection?