Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 tensioner relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Default 5.3 tensioner relocation?

Mocked up my turbo kit on a 5.3 and my stock truck tensioner gets in the way. I just need a small amount like 1/2" or so for it to clear. This mockup was with truck accessories and the truck stock tensioner. I will be going with an LS1 waterpump and 3/4" spacers but the tensioner position doesn't change anyways. I ordered a manual tensioner and maybe it will give me clearance. I also think I might have to relocate. Any ideas?

Old 09-17-2017, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

If you used Corvette accessories that would suck everything a lot closer to the block...

If you keep the current drive, then maybe you can build a bracket that moves the tensioner up a little...

Andrew
Old 09-17-2017, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, corvette accessory means I need all new accessories, brackets and balancer. I'm going to see if the manual tensioner helps. If not my only option is perhaps to relocate the tensioner or modify the crossover.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

So the new truck style tensioner came today and decided to mock it up and see if it clears. An oversite on my end but I actually need the car LS1 version as i will be running the LS1 car waterpump with spacers. But the truck version clears the turbo crossover. However the belt edge basically rests on the crossover pipe. I can slide the pass header forward a smudge which helps but the belt still gets pretty close. Worst case is I have to ding the crossover a bit for more clearance. I'm pretty annoyed the crossover and all the other piping Is 3" OD as that's going to affect spool and 2.5" would fit better. Not to mention they advertise 2.5" piping. Not sure how dinging the pipe is going to help as I was going to wrap the exhaust to help with underhood heat.

I used an old belt for a 5.3 with a small case alt cuz it's shorter and helps with clearance but I just realized it doesn't mean a thing as I run the 5" dirty dingo PS pulley. Going to have to figure this out.

Called CX racing today and sent in pics to see what they have to say. They are going to come back and say it wasn't designed for truck accessories and I'm on my own lol I just know it. They just needed like .5" more of a bend for it to clear.... ugh.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

you might think about ditching the v groove idler and make the smooth idler on the other side adjustable. belts come in just about every length in ~ half inch increments
Old 09-18-2017, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your saying ditch the stock ribbed tensioner and move it over to where the smooth idler is? How would that work? Got any pics of the setup? I can't see the pass due working as it needs the tensioner to flip the belt over to the smooth side for the waterpump.

Quick Reply: 5.3 tensioner relocation?