Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PTM throttle body repair?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PTM throttle body repair?

hey guys i wanted to ask if the PTM throttle body's are fixable or worth trying to fix? I installed a Procharger on my car and soon after the TB started to stick and now the blade has some play. Anyone on here fix these?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2017, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by WantSOM
hey guys i wanted to ask if the PTM throttle body's are fixable or worth trying to fix? I installed a Procharger on my car and soon after the TB started to stick and now the blade has some play. Anyone on here fix these?

Thanks!
Is your bypass working correctly? It's said that with high boost if you let off the throttle with no where for the air pressure to go (the bypass valve or bov), the pressure can bend the throttle blade. Maybe just coincidence, but perhaps why the blade is now distorted.

Do some searches back in the old days, when ProCharger kits with the plastic and sometime even the metal plenums would burst from the pressure at only 8 to 10 lbs of boost and higher. So it's not inconceivable that the pressure can also bend a throttle blade if it is closed and there is still a lot of pressure in the charge pipe. Back pressure can also damage the head unit.

It's more likely to happen with a 6 speed than an auto.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...oom-again.html

It's easy enough to see if the bypass works if it located where it is visible and/or you can hear it screech when you let off the gas. If it's working you will hear it. But if you are running high boost, the little black bypass valve doesn't have an outlet big enough to discharge high boost. You need to move up to the race valve.

Contact Bob at Brute - there's a boost threshold as to when you need to upgrade to the race valve.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-29-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: PTM throttle body repair?