Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 Silverado turbo

Old 12-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Silverado turbo

Hey guys, so this is my first forum I'm officially on and first time doing a turbo. I have basic fab and welding skills, and my buddy just gave me a gt35 for free! I want to put it on my 2012 Silverado 5.3. It's my daily driver, no performance mods, just looking for a little more ho and torque for better towing and more fun, and I'm just dying for the chop chop noise! Will this be a good size turbo or should I get a second one, or should I just ditch it and get a bigger single? This is my daddy truck, my project truck is back in the states. (Currently stationed in Germany) Thanks in advance!
Old 12-23-2017, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Honestly it's going to be too small for that motor.

Save yourself the hassle and get a 7875 and be done with it.
Also if you have a 4L60E don't expect that to live long.

There's a pile of information on all of this. Check out sloppy mechanics
Old 12-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Thank for the reply! And I have been following sloppy for a while now, just couldn't pass up the free unused turbo, and I have the 6L80. I hear a lot about the 7875, but now if I were to get 2 gt35s.... lol
Old 12-23-2017, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

You have tons of reading to do. A turbo won't give you a "chop chop" noise. I think you may be mistaking that for a cam swap. Also, screw the LOL, two gt35s would not be a terrible idea. Regardless of your fabrication skills, you need far more research before you undertake this project. BTW, a free turbo is only a fraction of the total parts involved in doing an actual turbo build. Wastegates, blow-off valves, injectors, tuning software, intercoolers, fuel pumps, boost controllers, piping, oil lines, etc., all cost money.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:32 AM
Teching In

lol I meant choo choo! and I have a good buddy over here with me that knows a good bit about supras and skylines, he has built a couple 2jz but he doesn't know anything about a v8 turbo. that's who I got the turbo from. ive done quite a bit of research and I feel confident enough to fab the headers and pretty much all piping, ive been welding for a while now, stainless and aluminum. my buddy just gave me an hks bov still in the box for 20 bucks, its all japanese writing so I cant give exact specs on it, gonna try to get part numbers off of it. I plan to just by a new oil pan to drill and tap then swap the pans when I start piecing it together. my only issue is I don't know the actual science and physics I guess you could say about turbos and proper applications, so I figured is best I just ask experts on here!
Old 12-25-2017, 10:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Farmdaddy
lol I meant choo choo! and I have a good buddy over here with me that knows a good bit about supras and skylines, he has built a couple 2jz but he doesn't know anything about a v8 turbo. that's who I got the turbo from. ive done quite a bit of research and I feel confident enough to fab the headers and pretty much all piping, ive been welding for a while now, stainless and aluminum. my buddy just gave me an hks bov still in the box for 20 bucks, its all japanese writing so I cant give exact specs on it, gonna try to get part numbers off of it. I plan to just by a new oil pan to drill and tap then swap the pans when I start piecing it together. my only issue is I don't know the actual science and physics I guess you could say about turbos and proper applications, so I figured is best I just ask experts on here!
If your buddy really knows what he is doing, he will be a valuable asset to any build you undertake. However, putting a turbo on a 3l motor vs a 5.3l motor takes a bit of understanding how to read a compressor map. For instance, a turbo that easily makes 1000hp on a Supra will likely choke out at 6 or 7 hundred on a 5.3l due to backpressure ratios. The larger motor needs less boost to make the same power, but generates the same amount of exhaust pressure, which puts it in a completely different part of the turbo's "map".
Old 12-26-2017, 05:41 AM
Teching In

alright, that makes sense, I'm still learning but I get what you are saying. so should I continue with the twin gt35s and 80 lbs iinjectors, or more? each turbo having their own waste gate (just for budget probably some tial clones). I plan on using hp tuners and getting a base tune from black bear just so I'm able to drive then eventually figure out tuning for myself and start turning up boost. if there are any holes in my plan or you just simply think I'm an idiot just let me know, I have thick skin lol. I would rather be told before I do it than be told after and blow something up. its just a dd and tire smoke maker. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.3 Silverado turbo