Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

A2W IC and water in cold pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A2W IC and water in cold pipe

For you guys running an A2W IC do you see much water or moisture in your cold pipe between the IC an TB? I know there may be some internal condensation but mine may be too much.

When I first built my piping there were some pinholes in the welds and under load, 13psi at the time, on the dyno it would spit water from these holes. So I know it gets water into the intake. Aluminum pipe welded with a spool gun and MIG. I'm going back over them with my TIG before it runs again to fix this issue.

When cold starting it spits a lot of water, clean water from the downpipe, which I know that most if not all is condensation buildup from cooling down and our high humidity here. But I spoke to my machine shop yesterday and they had to do some cutting on my exhaust seats and clean my new exhaust valves due to rust on them being pretty bad. The heads did not have much run time on them, maybe 5 passes. It sounds like the cylinders are building up some moisture when sitting. I am concerned that my current IC may actually have a small leak in the core.

Last edited by Taxman20; 01-13-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

Pressure test it. Start with a low psi. Than narrow it down by isolating where the leak is.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I planned on testing it. I was just curious if others get condensation inside the cold pipe and if so if its a little or if it can be quite a bit.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

Id try n rule out a leak b4 finding condensation as the culprit. Once the leak is ruled out, than you can work on the condensation and or how much is too much, etc. Otherwise you mite be chasing your tail so to speak. Thats only if you truly think theres a possibility of a leak of course
Old 01-14-2018, 11:08 AM
7 Second Club

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

i've never seen any water inside mine

Quick Reply: A2W IC and water in cold pipe