Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hidden Twins

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hidden Twins

Very serious about building a twin turbo f-body.. I have worked on alot of turbo 4cyls... I know how to fabricate.. I know V8 engines.. even the GenII and GenIII stuff.. I just have'nt had my head and hands that deep in a 4th gen f body engine bay yet....

I want no cues of having turbos to be visable from the outside and very little if any when the hood is open. Bottom rear mount turbos like the Incon seems about right...

Hiding the turbos is no big deal... Hiding a bit of mandrel bent pipe and two open element filters is'nt hard either...

As for intercoolers... Air to water for sure... You can put them where they don't block radiator air flow since they don't need ambient airflow themselves... The "radiator" that cools the water does but it is pretty slim...

Instead of two air to water cores stacked like the turbo tech single turbo f-bod race kits i'm thinking of mounting them side by side such that there are two seperate inlet end tanks (one for each turbo) and one big outlet tank that they both share...

See the two cores stacked?

Just use two cores side by side with seperate inlets.. If it was an electronic circuit think parallel vs series...

So a tank configuration like this but to two air to liquid cores attached side by side... Each turbo has its own inlet tank and core but there is only one outlet tank.

Then id mount it under the front of the car with its thin side (obviously) on the vertical axis and the single outlet would run forward, up and over the radiator and be disguised to look like a CAI nothing more.. The core would be between the radiator support and nose... Kinda like what rice etr is thinking but with an air to liquid intercooler instead of an air to air.

This is a BIG *** single but that whole truck manifold thing has got me going... hmmm

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=Incon+Kit

Why not just get two T4 flanges and weld them to thick wall tubing and a flange to match those manifolds on the other end.... Then I can adjust my tube length and angle before I weld to put each turbo right where it needs to be to clear.. I could also weld a hanger bracket from the T4 flange to bolt it to the block... Just some extra strength.. Kind of like the tab on a DSM downpipe that attatches to the block below the manifold...

I'm good with a welder and have been working with ic pipe mandrels and silicone couplers for quite a while... It should be cost effective, very sleeper and professional looking....
Old 07-04-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

I have been thinking about the same exact thing for a while now. My only problem is that I don't have the funds or the downtime for the car to design and creat a kit. I was going to have twins mounted down low just like you said, and I like the air to air intercooler you have, that would work perfect. I looked for a 2 into 1 like that but never found one. I was going to go with two smaller intercoolers mounted in the wheel wells before the tire, possibly paint them black so the blend in even more. Then I love the idea of leaving my lid or the factory lid on and having the intercooler pipe come up beneath the lid and right through the outlet towards the throttle body, keeping the rubber boot to the throttle body and everything on so its all hidden underneath. The only problem ive seen is if you do mount the twins down low, where exactly to snake the air filter pipes to? Also trying to squeeze the intercooler pipe would be difficult too. I heard getting a different motor mounts and K members help out a little bit, and with some grinding maybe it will all fit. I don't want the piping to be the lowest part of the car, so I would prefer not to take the easy way out and run the piping under the K member. How exactly do the truck manifolds work? I have heard about them but don't know what makes them so different from the stock fbodys? I don't know if this twin setup will be able to work without a lot of work, I am almost considering getting the stainless works setup with a t76 turbo mounted where the alternator is. I don't know how exactly that bracket works or where the alternator goes, but I think the procharger kit is the same way? That would be the easy way for a turbo kit, but I would love to have hidden twins. Keep up the work and research, id love to see your results and how you did the kit.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

"I was going to have twins mounted down low just like you said"

Just look at any Incon install same thing.

"I like the air to air intercooler you have, that would work perfect:"

Actually I'm looking at air to water intercoolers. The only air to air I currently own is in the front bumper of a DSM... and is a big crossflow air to air with 2.5" inlets and outlets... I also fog it with N20....

"I looked for a 2 into 1 like that but never found one."

It would be a custom intercooler no mater what type of core.. Just contact a shop that does intercooler fabrication...

"I was going to go with two smaller intercoolers mounted in the wheel wells before the tire, possibly paint them black so the blend in even more"

1. I'm doing air to water so the wont need ambient airflow thru them..
2. Never, NEVER, ever, EVER paint a air to air intercooler core.. The paint acts like insulation and kills the efficiency...

"where exactly to snake the air filter pipes to?"

I'd go sideways to the fender well infront of the tire. I'll figure something out...

What is on my DSM

"Also trying to squeeze the intercooler pipe"

Not that hard really, just parallel the oil pan on each side and use mandrel bends to hit the end tanks.

http://www.burnsstainless.com/Alumin...minumtube.html

Quick Reply: Hidden Twins