Old 05-06-2018, 03:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Or Hawks offer this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381946049558?rmvSB=true
Old 05-06-2018, 03:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, had read the forum thread detailing the first one, though hadn't seen the vid.

The latter one is the money (both literally and figuratively), position would be about perfect. Will cut and weld the existing assembly and use the hawks one for inspiration I think
Old 05-06-2018, 03:43 AM
9 Second Club

It just popped up on a search.....although Youtube is a pretty damn good resource to search through in its own right, sometimes stuff crops up there where people have made videos etc that doesnt appear on a normal Google search.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:26 AM
Teching In

Got the gearbox crossmember sorted. Gearbox fouled on the factory one as had a raised centre section but ended up being able to mod and reuse by flipping it so raised = recessed. Welded in some 5mm plate to reinforce it where the gearbox mount was gonna go.

LS Hilux with twins-2knz95r.jpg

Built a platform mount on top

LS Hilux with twins-zrfszvz.jpg

Installed with new urethane mount

LS Hilux with twins-bd0f37s.jpg

Also got the first of two new driveshafts made up. Tremec-side has no slip or universal so pretty important to get it right, Positioned the gearbox mount so that could use the factory hanger, will probably add some reinforcement there though as not much to it. Anyone have a recommendation on how beefy I should be making the hanger? Factory one is pretty wimpy...
Old 05-12-2018, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by shiny_lux
....Anyone have a recommendation on how beefy I should be making the hanger? Factory one is pretty wimpy...
Are you talking about the hanger for the bearing for a 2 piece driveshaft? If so, I can't see it having to be super "beefy" as it is only holding a bearing that is spinning. Not a lot of forces acting on it.

Andrew
Old 05-12-2018, 03:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Are you talking about the hanger for the bearing for a 2 piece driveshaft? If so, I can't see it having to be super "beefy" as it is only holding a bearing that is spinning. Not a lot of forces acting on it.

Andrew
I would think at launch and even high speed, there is the potential for pretty large forces. That said, mine certainly isnt anything fancy and I've never had any problems and it's run to near 10,000rpm shaft speed.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:41 AM
Teching In

Had a good look at the hanger mounts today. They're actually a bit outa shape already - presumably from the LT1. Or theyre just a bit wonky out of the factory though that doesn't really sound like Toyota... Being behind a solid (rubber donut) on the gearbox side I suppose that should help with the new setup re how much stress the hanger bearing sees whaddya reckon? Think I will still brace/gusset what's there though...
Old 05-16-2018, 02:25 AM
Teching In

Manifold time. Was looking forward to making these, fark me I forgot how many hours goes into them though - and I need to do two! Material is mild steel schedule 40, I see most people up your guys side of the world favour stainless but in Aussie/NZ mild is more popular due to workability and fewer issues with cracking. Primaries ended up pretty long to get the turbo where I wanted it, think I will need to brace the turbo to the block

LS Hilux with twins-im6skjg.jpg

LS Hilux with twins-xwh8fiq.jpg

LS Hilux with twins-75im0ik.jpg

Bought myself a #20 size water cooled tig torch to help get in around the collector, is so much nicer than the big chinese #26 I had been using. Also got a dual out regulator so could try my hand at back purging for the stainless downpipes and exhaust I will build. Drinks the argon but seems to work well, makes perdy colours

LS Hilux with twins-xpogtqg.jpg
Old 05-16-2018, 03:37 AM
9 Second Club

There's a lot to be said for using truck or other factory manifolds ! lol
Old 05-16-2018, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Man, the humidity must be insane there for things to flash-rust like that. Looks very intricate, I like it. As for North Americans' hang-up on stainless everything... well that is just an ill-informed consumer base that is easily sold magic beans (says the Canadian using Chinesium eBay headers).

Best vs. Necessary?
Old 05-17-2018, 04:06 AM
Teching In

I'm a fan of stainless, I'm mostly scared off by all the cheap Chinese turbo manifolds that have terrible reputation for cracking - at least in the 4 cylinder world (given it seems people have decent success with the chinese LS ones)... I'm sure the thick wall custom fabricated ss manifolds do well, but didn't back myself to build some given they're still less forgiving than mild. Also gonna coat these, so will look nice when done
Old 05-18-2018, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Any wastegate experts out there? Cant decide whether I risk 2x 40mm Turbosmarts or go with the ~$100 (NZD) per side extra 45mms... I see a lot of you guys seem to get away with twin 38s but many applications also seem to have more room so better able to build ports that help with flow, or are routing off of a single merged pipe as opposed to off a short collector.
​​​​​Mine wont be quite 90deg turns, have teardropped the port as much as possible but still arent exactly setup for best flow...

LS Hilux with twins-waqxcre.jpg
Old 06-02-2018, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Bump for wastegate advice, looking to buy these soon
Old 06-02-2018, 05:51 AM
9 Second Club

Probably no easy answer.

Will 38/40 work and allow you to run the low boost levels ? Maybe....Probably

Will 45/46mm do the job ? Undoubtedly.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd go for the 44s. One thing I never previously considered was not just the diameter of the WG orifice, but also the amount the valve opens (plus curtain area, etc). Same flow principles apply as a cylinder head, except it is a sharp 90° turn inside the WG... so if you want pressure to bleed of between two 90° turns you'll want the least amount of restriction possible at the outlet. The last thing you want is convoluted path to a tiny bleed that gets backed up.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Not really looking to try and run low boost, especially with those small turbos - will stuff as much into the motor as it will take semi conservatively on pump gas (98 RON), so picking somewhere btw 16-20psi? Maybe 40s will be OK for that?

Have nearly finished the second manifold now, you can get a look at the wastegate opening is nicely teardropped but space on this side especially is constrained, so pathto WG is twisty...

LS Hilux with twins-enrm0kh.jpg
Old 06-02-2018, 05:07 PM
Teching In

LS Hilux with twins-qwr8kx9.jpg
Old 06-02-2018, 05:08 PM
9 Second Club

The thing is...it's still maybe.

If the larger units use the same flange etc, or weld it up for a larger unit but adapt and run the smaller so it isnt a ballix to change later.

But opt for the larger size and you know it will work.

Go for the smaller and it might work...probably will work....or it might not.

And yes low boost limit is one aspect, potential boost creep at the top end is another.

AND...factor in whilst the merge is pretty etc, you are heavily biasing flow for only 2 runners, so overall gate flow is not as ideal as it could be.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

AND...factor in whilst the merge is pretty etc, you are heavily biasing flow for only 2 runners, so overall gate flow is not as ideal as it could be.
Agree there for sure, hard to see how any flow can make it from the far runners without cutting through the flow of the nearest two. In saying that with a fairly long collector the design is better than most 4/6 cylinder single manifold designs, but they also seem to use big wastegates considering comparatively small displacement. Damn it yet another thing to spend more on than planned on this build! Also annoyingly nope the 40mm and 45mm gate use a different flange...
Old 07-02-2018, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Progress has been pretty slow, mostly finishing welding the manifolds. Gotta bad tank of argon that sent me backwards. Was scratching my head for a while trying to figure out what was wrong and needless to say was a major fark around, had to remake one of the pipes due to compromised welds.

Been accumulating many yellow paper bags of dirt cheap nickle and dime install parts from aliexpress (oil and water turbo fittings etc). Also bought one of the Aliexpress gas lens kits with pyrex cups for the tig torch. The visibility of the pyrex cup is a revelation, especially for $7 delivered!

Due to the advice here, also chickened out and bought the bigger wastegates (turbosmart 45mms). Contemplating a 4m long 2>1 screamer pipe exiting behind the rear wheel, should be enough room and sound ruthless. Wastegate, custom fit:

LS Hilux with twins-duhstjb.jpg

LS Hilux with twins-uj332d5.jpg

^ Can also see holes cut for the intake. Thinking air filters will go where fog lights are currently and get ram air straight from the front bumper. Dont have the filters yet but mocked up old filter for test (will be blacked out for stealth):

LS Hilux with twins-6crnzig.jpg