Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question about Turbos and FI

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Question about Turbos and FI

Hey guys I been thinking of how I'd like to mod the car, and I really like the STS Turbo setup. One of my questions is exactly how reliable and safe is a turbo for the engine versus a head/cam setup? I mean it takes a specific amount of fuel and air to be burned to create... oh lets say 420 RWHP. I'm thinking there isn't much difference between doing a turbo and doing heads and cam. Cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure… right? Does it matter a lot whether engine vacuum draws in enough fuel/air to make that power or whether it's crammed down its throat?

So why do I always (not on this forum yet) here stories of guys blowing up their stock bottom end LT1s and LS1s? Are they just greedy with boost? The only thing I can think of that FI adds is excess heat compared to a NA engine.

That being said, what's the consensus here on the max power that an LS1 with stock internals can handle? I probably wouldn't run much more than 5psi just to err on the side of caution. I want to make some great power - but reliability is always my first concern. I don't want to have to tear into engine after only a few thousand miles. Basically how long would it last?

I just always feel it's a role of the dice with stock pistons and rods ... but then what do I know? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Time to talk... or did I confuse the hell out everyone
Old 07-10-2004, 12:41 AM
TECH Resident

From what I've seen ( and I'm one of them ), guys using FI over heads/cam are pushing the envelope MUCH more. I made 621/685 to the rear wheels on stock bottom end, then kaboom! This was at 12psi. That's 200rwhp more than you mentioned . . . I mean what's the max average with heads/cam? 450rwhp max?

- Dug
Old 07-10-2004, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Thanks, very cool.

Damn, that is some serious power ... for a little bit anyways. I definitely wouldn't push it that far though. I bet that was a spectacular explosion. Now if had some serious money, it would be cool to rebuild it with some billet rods, forged 8.5:1 pistons and crank... then let the boost come Although I think you start reaching the limit of the aluminum block when you get that high and I don’t exactly need to run 9s…
Old 07-10-2004, 07:42 AM
Launching!

Most people blow engines with bad tuning. 621rwhp....most likely it was not tuning. 5 psi....thats nice and low. I got the turbos at 22,000 miles and ran 5 psi for 2 years and 20,000 with all stock computer settings. That was @420 rwhp. 10,000 more miles at 8 psi with 42# injectors and LS1 edit. Yes, we do get greedy with the boost.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

If you are only looking for 420 whp dont get a turbo... dont get a supe...

Go LT or Mids with the headers, duals, head, cam, injectors, PCM, etc....

You really need all that with forced induction too... There is no way around having to upgrade the parts that really matter...

The bottom end breaking is probably people getting boost happy with bad/inexperienced tuning skills...