Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Holset Turbos...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 10:42 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holset Turbos...

what do you know about them. Know any really good resources about their sizing and compressor maps? Me and Darkblue TA have been talking about this tonight because it might turn into one of those junkyard projects if we find the right info.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well they are cummins turbo diesel turbos. oem. plenty of them around. guys are pushing 50 psi out of them into the cummins inline 6.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

I think their efficency sucks below 20psi.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The Holset units are good turbos. They are heavy for their size though, but very strong. Only drawback is the aftermarket support for them. Not much out their in the way of rebuilding and upgrading them. You can see more info below....

http://www.holset.co.uk/files/2_1-product%20range.php

Jose
Old 07-12-2004, 07:23 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by MYTURBOT/A
I think their efficency sucks below 20psi.
I know there are a ton of them out there, mainly because my dad has a 97 cummins with I believe the first half year 98 12 valve motor. The HX35W Turbo was used on them through about 01 (that I can find hard facts on without seriously digging) and that the new HO 600 LB-Ft motors are using another model turbo for Dodge truck model years 03+. Main reason for my question is because they measure things weird, like talking about the turbine housing in sq cm and I haven't been able to find inlet size on the compressor housings. I know there is an aftermarket for them (more than one might think) as I a quick search turned up one supplier that offers a 14 sq cm non-wastegated turbine housing. (I believe most OEM cummins motors used a 12 sq cm housing). Also...from some vague numbers I turned up...it would appear that the HX35W and it's cousin HY35W have about a max OEM boost range of 15-18 (some 94-98 models) and 21-23 #s (some 96-98 models) and 18-20.5 (some 98-00 OME models).

Jose, I did look @ their product range on their website, the only question is does that product range match up for a gasoline engine. I know Diesels like their air flow but it must be strictly matched up with fuel ( perhaps even more so than with a FI gas motor). Only true way to tell is to get a hold of a compressor map and air flow numbers. Just by looking @ a HX35W, the size appears to be around a 76-88mm turbo on the compressor inlet. Also, thinking about this, the cummins B motors are 359 cubes that max out @ about 3500 RPM (really firewalling it) vs. LT or LS1s with their 350 and 346 cubes but with nearly double the useable RPM range.

Guess I'll keep digging, since I just came across their tech. data online. I'll keep you posted, since this is my idea, and Darkblue and I are trying to figure out of it's feasible in terms of turbo sizing.

Quick Reply: Holset Turbos...